Hey cockatoo owners!!

Do you love cockatoos?

• Total voters
Im not fond of pits...been chased by one..up a driveway. People will disagree with me. At least a cockatoo won't murder you 😁
Me either but I know how people are about pit bulls we have a neighbor by our property in Tennessee who lets their Pitbull roam around and if it comes on our property our other neighbors dog a Great Pyrenees chases It Off. They've gotten in some fights though. I'm just not much for aggressive breeds of dogs

Me either but I know how people are about pit bulls we have a neighbor by our property in Tennessee who lets their Pitbull roam around and if it comes on our property our other neighbors dog a Great Pyrenees chases It Off. They've gotten in some fights though. I'm just not much for aggressive breeds of dogs
Tennessee doesn't have leash law but it has a nuisance animal law. If he is a nuisance then the proper authorities can be called..a friend from my church got chewed up by a pit. She took the guy to court and the dog had to be euthanized. The dog had chewed on other people too. Please be careful..they are so scary. Our neighbors have them too and I live in nowhere land.

Some dogs are more aggressive or easier to trigger than others ( not that cockatoos are aggressive)
Im not fond of pits...been chased by one..up a driveway. People will disagree with me. At least a cockatoo won't murder you 😁
I had a friend that required reconstructive surgery on her hand from a rescued Moluccan Cockatoo. Birds that have bills designed by evolution to crush large nuts absolutely have the ability to inflict some serious damage to soft human flesh. Any bird can be aggressive. It's best not to make blanket statements unless it is qualified by something like "in my experience" or "in my opinion."

I wouldn't say all Hyacinth Macaws are aggressive, but I've also had a friend with a pair that worked in concert to let themselves out of their flight/yard of the breeding barn and into their indoor enclosure to defend their nest which resulted in them taking one of his fingers completely off. I also had another friend with a pair of Goffins that regularly got out of their cage and would chew threw the nestboxes of other birds on eggs or chicks to kill the other birds in that cage. And yet another friend who had a female Greater Sulphur Crested that was on three separate occasions nearly killed by three different males she was paired with. The fourth male attempted to bully her and she killed him. The fifth died of natural causes and she now goes broody every year on her infertile eggs before plucking one feather and feeding it for several weeks before giving up on children for the year.

Tennessee doesn't have leash law but it has a nuisance animal law. If he is a nuisance then the proper authorities can be called..a friend from my church got chewed up by a pit. She took the guy to court and the dog had to be euthanized. The dog had chewed on other people too. Please be careful..they are so scary. Our neighbors have them too and I live in nowhere land.
That's good to know if we ever have any problems we will definitely call. They have like a four or five year old boy who always comes on the edge of our property and brings his dogs with him. We told the parents to please keep the dogs and their little boy off our property but of course they don't listen. We put up a gate now

I had a friend that required reconstructive surgery on her hand from a rescued Moluccan Cockatoo. Birds that have bills designed by evolution to crush large nuts absolutely have the ability to inflict some serious damage to soft human flesh. Any bird can be aggressive. It's best not to make blanket statements unless it is qualified by something like "in my experience" or "in my opinion."

I wouldn't say all Hyacinth Macaws are aggressive, but I've also had a friend with a pair that worked in concert to let themselves out of their flight/yard of the breeding barn and into their indoor enclosure to defend their nest which resulted in them taking one of his fingers completely off. I also had another friend with a pair of Goffins that regularly got out of their cage and would chew threw the nestboxes of other birds on eggs or chicks to kill the other birds in that cage. And yet another friend who had a female Greater Sulphur Crested that was on three separate occasions nearly killed by three different males she was paired with. The fourth male attempted to bully her and she killed him. The fifth died of natural causes and she now goes broody every year on her infertile eggs before plucking one feather and feeding it for several weeks before giving up on children for the year.
Any bird or seriously any animal can go aggressive. Dogs can do real damage as well as most animals can.

Good idea on the gate. 👍
That's good to know if we ever have any problems we will definitely call. They have like a four or five year old boy who always comes on the edge of our property and brings his dogs with him. We told the parents to please keep the dogs and their little boy off our property but of course they don't listen. We put up a gate now

Sounds like the poor sulfur crested cockatoo you're referring to was just defending herself after almost being killed multiple times, I see nothing aggressive about her behavior just a mentally scarred bird.

People should also be more careful for themselves they should realize that they are animals that can do damage just like any other animal. They shouldn't stick their hands in strange birds cages, they should be aware of their Birds body language, and should be all around careful with birds they don't know extremely well. In most cases the bird is not just a demented bird that wants to hurt you they are just scared because they have had previously bad experiences with humans or you are invading there territory or you are touching their mate. In few cases is it actually the birds aggressiveness and not human error

So I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their cockatoo's flight and wing feathers being really...um....not smooth and solid but like spacey if that makes sense 🤔 I always leave my birds flighted but she can't fly with these feathers. She has had them since I got her. Her diet is zupreem nut blend pellets (because she won't eat the high quality pellets) and then treated with seeds, and fruit and vegetables but she doesn't really like those. She will eat apples if I slice it thin and hold it for her, if not she just tears everything up. She also likes lettuce. She has feathered up and red palm oil in her food and once a week gets benebac which is a probiotic. We started the palm oil because she plucked her chest a bit and now it's grown back. She is completely healthy otherwise, the vet just seen her in early June.

Back
Top Bottom