Hey everyone getting a chicken coop this week! Predator questions and Hello!

willstow

Hatching
Feb 14, 2017
Hello!!, my cousin is giving me his old chicken coop. We are excited to get started on our next adventure with the chickens. Our house has a fenced in area - about 15' x 30' chain link fence maybe 4' tall. I was thinking of making a "ceiling" over the area inside the chain link fencing with this barrier fencing - see the link for details - do you think that would keep hawks out if I roll out a couple of layers? Then I have some mesh wire fencing left over from a project that I was going to use to put around the chain link fence itself to keep the ground predators away.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-4-ft-x-100-ft-Orange-Guardian-Safety-Barrier-Fence-998044/100384030

We have a 20 month old boy and we are excited to get some more pets for him to enjoy. This may be a dumb question but could the hens injure him (biting or scratching?). I clearly have a lot of research to do on here but we are certainly excited!
Thanks!
Will

PS We live near Smyrna, Ga

Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

G’Day from down under willstow
frow.gif
Welcome!

Very exciting!

Living in suburbia we do not have a great deal of predator issues, unless you count pampered neighbourhood puddy cats more interested in sunning themselves than running around in the heat chasing chickens
wink.png

I recommend posting your question on the Predators and Pests Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

You might also want to check out the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Finally, you might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Hens can give a good peck but do not usually do this unless provoked or broody. Your question and concern for your son tells me that you are not going to leave him alone with them and will keep a close eye on his and their behaviour so all should be well. I definitely do not recommend a rooster around small children.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I used to live in Smryna! My GG mother was born on Kennesaw Mountain. But that's another story.
You can use the orange fencing but it's going to be annoying and a blight before the end of the week. Plus you have tons of predators and the plastic won't be much of a match. Possum, dogs, raccoons, skunk, more possum. I would cover it with wire or even cover it with a roof. Let's see pictures of the coop.
Chickens will scratch and peck. If they don't want to be caught and held you can be beat silly with their flapping and their feet come equipped with sharp pointy weapons. You will need to work with the chicks when they are little getting them comfortable being held because every kid wants to carry them around the yard. Also select breeds that are known for being docile (orpingtons,Russian orloffs, brahmas and Brabanter are at the top of my list).

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

You've already received some good advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

Greetings from Kansas, willstow, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! You've already received a bunch of great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC. Enjoy your ride on the poultry train!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom