Hey everyone

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? used to raise chickens for 4H and FFA but havent had chickens for about 30 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Well thats complicated...we had 21 but we got a couple border collie pups (6 week olds) and they ran through them. They didnt eat them so idk if they thought they were toys or what but they killed all but 4. So I bought a couple large dog kennels and wire tied them together. Its a lot more secure than what we did have. The pups and the chickens are in the garage for now until the chicks are fully feathered and the pups have their rabies shot. So now we are back up to 18.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Silkies, Brahmas, Oliver Eggers, Welsummers, Rhodies, Marans, Plymouth Rock, and Austrlorps

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs, fertilizer, ground clearing.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Welding, farming, family, reloading, hunting, fishing, and pretty much anything outdoors.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have 6 Nigerian Dwarf goats, 2 Yorkie hogs, a Jersey cow, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 kids. I am retired military and am an analyst for the govt.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

was just reading up on some chicken stuff and decided it might be easier to join so I can ask here instead of Google: )
Welcome to BYC!

:welcome

Sorry for the chickens lost. Dogs and chickens are not a natural mix...a predator proof coop and run for the birds and training for the dogs will help prevent future losses.

Best wishes!

Yeah we are doing the fencing this weekend around our corrals with some tight woven wire fencing about 2" by 3" that once the birds are feathered and ready for outside activities they wont be able to get through and they will rotate through pastures with our goats. The dogs have about 15' around the entire perimeter and a space in the barn to bed down. It was my fault for allowing carnivores to hang out with the birds before they have been trained. They will eventually go in the pasture supervised. But really it is 100 percent my fault I shouldn't have assumed the pups would leave them alone. I gave the dogs a perimeter because we have raccoons, skunks, snakes and coyotes so I need some working dogs to deter predators.

Back
Top Bottom