Hey everyone!!!

Nanablue

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Don't know how to get started. I'm a widow living in a little town with my son and his family. We are doing a lot of things to be self sufficient and i have always wanted chickens. Well i am getting started but i could use a lot of info on HOW to start. We only have a 1/4 acre of property but are looking to move to a larger plot sometime in the summer. How do i get started? Any breeds easier than others? Anyway, i can't wait to learn and looking forward to maybe making a few friends along the way.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
Are you wanting eggs or meat? Both? Preferred egg color?

Welcome to BYC
big_smile.png
. How I started was I went to my local library and got ARM loads of books about chickens!! I think that is a really important thing to do before getting the birds. Research coop designs and all that kind of stuff. I know BYC has a LOT of info :)
I'm not sure on breed selection because the hens I have I don't know the breed, but a family friend says he really likes Buff Orpingtons and I've read that they are a nice, docile breed.
Hope that helps
big_smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I was just thinking about what i would want the chickens for. Mostly eggs and i guess when they get too old for laying...meat?? Ugh. Guess i'll have to get used to that. I saw a few smaller coops that i could build. I think they are portable (wheels). I also saw one online today. It looked like a teepee. lol

poultrylubber: great idea about the books.Thanks. I am still trying to find out if i can actually have chickens in my town. Wish me luck!

I chose my chicks this time for the size of the bird and the egg production. Australorps are supposedly good layers of lg. eggs. I also chose Wyandotes for the same reason and to get a variety. So far out of 12 hens at 7mos age I am getting on average 6-7 eggs a day -in freezing weather. Most don't lay in the winter. So if egg production is your reason for chickens I would reccomment these. They are also very lg and make good sized food birds.
I keep a 100 watt bulb (covered with a shield) over the waterer to keep it from freezing and is supposedly the light is one way to keep egg production up.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom