Hey everyone!!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

I agree with drumstick diva's advice about the hardware cloth and roofing the run. You will need to double the size for the 6 you have. That will become very evident when they get full grown. And the water fount and feeder also take up the space of 2 chickens in the coop or run footprint.

I would have concerns on cleaning issue. Smaller coops are hard to clean when low, if there is a way to raise the coop about 2 feet you can use the under coop as part of the run and won't have to get bent over or on your knees for coop cleaning. Make sure the run top is tall enough for you to comfortably enter for chores as well.

Cats are a real threat to growing chicks, once they are full size the threat is lessened. But free range does come with expected losses. IMO when you have a small flock, even loss of one can be devastating.
Thanks for the tips! I think I'm gunna take yout advice and raise the coop up more so it can be part of the run and add some more shelter as well,Thanks again

Picked up 2 new chicks today 4 weeks old,Araucauna and light brahma is what there supposed to be,Bought them from a pretty reputable breeder this time so I hope it works out,I know it's early but let me know what you guys think?I also gave them my older (unknown)chicks that may be meat chickens because I didn't want family to get attached and then find out we would have to get rid of them,We wanted better egg layers and more for pets
35a65262e3c0f0901e05f57df5c9abcf.jpg
4a9a0365c442bfca3d8540fb2108c655.jpg
e81bfd5b3963bbf933f8dc696de27691.jpg

Back
Top Bottom