Hey fish folks....

I'm surprised there would be no trace of nitrate. Nitrate is the end result of the biological cycling process. It's normal to have SOME nitrate. I try to keep goldfish tanks indoors at ten parts or below. How recent was your water change before you tested for the nitrates? How long has the pond been filled with water? What's the gallons? How many fish?

During the establishment of a biological cycle (usually taking 30 days), nitrites will be present. Once the "good guy" bacteria build (mainly in your filter component), the nitrites will be eaten as part of the cycle. In a new enclosure, it is normal to see nitrites present while the tank cycles.

The color black is the least stable in goldfish - which is why so many people who buy black/gold fish complain later on that their fish turned completely gold! Black can also be a sign of trauma - like a bruise and also ammonia burn.

I was a moderator on a fish forum for some time - my specialty was their cold fish section (goldfish).

Do you have photos of your pond? I always enjoy seeing them!

The pond has been up and running for several weeks. The pond is about 6 X 8 and 24-30 inches deep in the deepest part, has a bog garden that is about 8 x 4 feet with 6-8 inches of gravel with free flowing water underneath and a 12 foot long stream and waterfall. My guess is that the volume is some where around 450-500 gallons. The pond has one lily and the bog has papyrus, cattail, irises and a a red trailing plant. There are 15 goldfish, and one mosquito fish. There are 3 apricot blush comets, two fan tails, 5 shubunkin and 5 other comets. All the fish are about 6 inches long.

The filter component for this pond is the bog. It is actually huge for the pond size. While this is a new pond, it is not heavily stocked. The toads laid eggs within the first week and there are several hundred tadpoles, but far fewer than when they first hatched.

I don't have pictures yet, and I'm mad at myself that I didn't take pictures of the project. While everything is up and running, the outside landscaping isn't finished. I'm not good at posting pictures, but I will try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Often times new goldfish will be knocked around a bit in shipping/in the store. Bruising is not uncommon, nor are the ammonia burns.

Your pond sounds beautiful. Those goldfish will be 12+ inches in no time!
wink.png

They have already grown since I put them in, especially the largest shubunkin. I love sitting out on the patio, listening to the water and watching the fish. They were having their spring festival at the pond shop the day we bought the fish, so it is possible that they got banged around. The apricots and shubunkin like to swim between the rocks, and maybe this fish managed to squeeze itself in too small a place. I'm keeping an eye on it, and trying to watch it's behavior. So far, it is acting just like all the rest. It just isn't the clear yellow gold it was before.
hu.gif

So many will change color over time. Some will become more intense - some less.

This is an old video that I took of my favorite (RIP) shubunkin goldfish. Her name was Sparkles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXRU1XJ1gDk

I
took that video long before I had a good camera/knew how to properly upload photos/videos so it's a little blurry. Shubunkins are my favorite.

My favorite is also one of the shubunkin, although one of the comets is white with a red/gold spot on it's head, is also a fave. It is always the first to rise for the food, even if it is the smallest. They already have different "personalities". The darkest, biggest shubunkin likes the deepest water, and is the most shy. The apricots and shubunkin like to play in the waterfall, but none of the rest do.

Yes, I spend too much time watching fish. They are as fun to watch as the chickens. And they look so lovely in the water.

Just an update....

The spots on the fish seem to be fading and are fewer in number. I think the little guy must have gotten "bruised" somehow. It's behavior never changed, and it has ben eating, so I guess it was just some weird fish thing.

i can tell you many of our oldies developed blackening over time...

heck, 2 of my parrot cichlids who are now about a year old, about once a month develop black patches, they last for about a week then fade away again, seems to be when they hit little growth spurts lol.

if your parameters are good, and activity and apitite is normal, and no other signs of illness id say just normal pigment change.

Back
Top Bottom