Hey from Bethel Alaska

Bethel_Alaska

Songster
Apr 28, 2019
Bethel Alaska
Hello from Alaska,
We moved here from San Diego where we had a small backyard flock of 7 our daughter got them for Xmas in 2016 they were wonderful ladies,unfortunately we were unable to bring them with us we did happen to find them a wonderful spacious home with a loving family and get updates on them all the time❤️

We have been wanting to get more chicks and finally did we received them on Thursday we received 10 babies
2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Dominques, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Swedish Flower Hen, and a Meyer Meal Maker.

We are supper excited on our new babies and our daughter loves loves loves them.

We are feeding them Scratch & Peck organic chick starter and I have been trying to introduce them fermented feed twice a day. I am having a challenging time trying to figure out what’s the best way to feed the fermented to them with out them wanting to stand in it I have tried putting it on a paper plate & in a little bowl. I am open to any suggestions that may be helpful
Thank you bunches

Hi and welcome to BYC. I personally don’t sweat too much about feed going everywhere. A paper towel under the feeding bowl is about as far as i go - never had an issue. Searching and pecking around for food is perfectly natural and keeping them occupied is no bad thing.

You will have to come back frequently and tell us what it's like transitioning from San Diego to Alaska! And also how you care for your chickens in that extreme weather.
Yes I will definitely keep you all posted as crazy as it seems the weather here this year is super different from previous years it’s a lot warmer than usual we have been here in Alaska for a year and a half and have been coming here off and on since 2013 don’t get me wrong there has been super cold days/weeks but for now it’s been warm plus we get a lot of daylight right now and in summer we get 18 plus hours of daylight we like it here the way of life here is simplicity☺️ Our chicks are inside of course for now but will indeed post pics and update as much as possible thank you for the warm welcome

Back
Top Bottom