Hey! from suburban Texas

AstroWood

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
North Texas
Hi everyone. I live in a suburb of Dallas that I've discovered allows two hens on residential lots. In all honesty, two hens will likely be just right for the number of eggs my family uses, and that's exactly what I want from raising the chickens. I suppose I also want them as a learning tool for my daughter as well. She'll be turning three soon and I'm sure (with proper supervision and guidance) she'd love them.

Now, I just have to build a coop with a run big enough for two hens. We rent, and I'm concerned about them tearing up the ground beneath their run. Would it be acceptable, for the chickens I mean, to have a solid floor under the run so as not to destroy the yard, or would that not work?

Any ideas on what breeds would do well in a small space such as this, be good egg layers, and be able to deal with Texas heat?

Any advice is appreciated!

Glad to be here at BYC! :)

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

Howdy from Kansas, astrowood, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us and are getting into chickens! Here is my idea on the run...for 2 hens it should be a minimum of 20 sq. ft. - sounds big but that's just 4 x 5 so not really. Chickens need to scratch around, have dust baths, etc., so I think they should have access to the ground in the run. Yes, they will destroy it - but so will a wooden floor over it as it shades the entire area and prevents growth of grass. For the Texas heat and a small coop and run, you will need breeds that handle confinement. I'd opt for a lighter (in weight) breed as well. You can access the Breeds tab below and search for chickens by criteria. Good luck in all your chicken adventures!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Back
Top Bottom