Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

So the creamy chicken and veggies didn't go so well. I used dehydrated veggies and apparently didn't add enough water. Even on low in the crockpot it scorched
sad.png
. So, the piggies liked it, but us not so much. We had enchiladas Sunday and cheap chicken last night. Tonight will be another noodle-less lasagna, we all liked that a lot last week.

I used some dehydrated mushrooms for the Stroganoff last night and they did not have enough time to puff up either. The boy will eat anything that has Worcestershire sauce in it so it managed to disappear. But next time I think I will soak them first and not depend on added fluid.

I used some dehydrated mushrooms for the Stroganoff last night and they did not have enough time to puff up either. The boy will eat anything that has Worcestershire sauce in it so it managed to disappear. But next time I think I will soak them first and not depend on added fluid.
That stuff's like magic, isn't it?

I'm trying some meal in a jar recipes also. They're mostly based on freeze-dried ingredients, which I guess take less water and time to re-constitute. My dehydrated veggies have done just fine in soups, where there's lots of liquid and a long cook time, but I'm trying to make some Mountain House type meals without the carbs for honey. I may have to shell out the $ for freeze dried
sad.png

I have been thinking about why freeze dried does that better, and I think it is because the cells of the vegetables stay ridged while the water in them evaporates, and the dehydrated vegetables the cell wall collapses and that is why they never really ever puff up when reconstituted.

Now, How does one go about making freeze dried fruit and vegetables?
...of course, they'd be crunchy... and I would eat the equivalent of three pounds of peas dried, then have a glass of water and explode.
Maybe I am not ready for such technology.

Not necessarily, from what I've read. If you read sites from folks who buy products like Thrive there are quite a few freeze dried foods folks eat straight from the can, and no explosions reported
wink.png
. I like the yogurt, and if you're low carb, freeze dried cheese is a lifesaver!

It is nice and crunchy. It's a great sub for a cheese cracker. I haven't even tried re-hydrating it and using it as cheese yet. I just bought a small can to try, and am now waiting on the budget and a good sale to get a stock. Need my cheese after the zombies attack, you know
wink.png

Oh yeah, dinner tonight....

I was on the way to work and realized I'd forgotten to put the roast in the crockpot. Thank goodness for simple meals, cause I was walking my ds15 through it on the phone
hmm.png
. Pretty basic, though..." There's a roast in a bag in the sink. Dump that in the crockpot. Find the half a jar of apricot preserves in the fridge (this was the hardest part, the finding
roll.png
, bless his heart), spoon over the roast. Salt and pepper. Put the crockpot in the base, with the lid on, and turn on low". He followed directions like a champ and we had a wonderful dinner! I cooked some carrots to go with, shredded the pork and mixed the preserves in well.

It is nice and crunchy. It's a great sub for a cheese cracker. I haven't even tried re-hydrating it and using it as cheese yet. I just bought a small can to try, and am now waiting on the budget and a good sale to get a stock. Need my cheese after the zombies attack, you know
wink.png
You know, I just can't make myself wait for zombies.
I think one must have to have a lot of self control not to break into all the prep food.
I mean really, I'd just have a few five gallon buckets of chocolate bars, and when they were gone, I'd join the zombies.

Back
Top Bottom