Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

The last couple of days I have been cleaning closets, so meals have been quick and easy-fried ham & eggs, leftover spaghetti. Yesterday I did find time to bake some frozen cookie dough I had in the freezer and made some toffee from a recipe that my DSIL emailed me. She used to make it when she was a teen, DH had me ask her for the recipe around Christmas, she said she didn't have it-she just found it! It was great! So much easier than other ones I've tried.

Tonight is polish sausage boiled in apple cider, then grilled, veggies.

Monica

Last Night:
100_3800.JPG

In the skillet, we have 1/2lb of leftover ham, a 1/4 - 1/3 cup of each; sliced fresh sweet potato, onion, cauliflower with a couple of cloves of garlic all sizzling in olive oil (a bunch now it's good for you) with 3 diced medium white potatoes skins on. When the potatoes are tender, I will dump the 4 cup measuring cup into it (2 c frozen carrot & 1.5 c frozen corn & .5 c green pepper) into it. Cover & cook until carrots are hot & ready and serve with a scoop of hot white rice.

This only feeds 3 of us with a small bowl of left-overs.
The ham is actually a substitute we usually use smoked sausage, and it's our favorite "greasy meal"

Last edited:
Here is a yummy lunch for DH & I from the other day too...
100_3783.JPG

Denver Omelet Type lunch with Parsnips, Potatoes, Cauliflower, Onion, Peppers, Tomatoes, Ham, Spinach, Eggs & Cheese

the spinach is chopped/diced and mixed with the eggs... the onions, peppers, potatoes & parsnips were sauteed until softened and removed from the heat & kept covered, while the eggs & ham are cooked omelet style in the skillet. Transfer to plate, top with cheese if you want then the veggie mix and diced tomatoes

Last edited:
Sandee- Toffee Recipe

1C. Pecans, chopped
3/4C.packed brown sugar
1/2C. butter
1/2C.semi- sweet chocolate pieces

Butter 9x9x2" pan, spread pecans in pan.
Heat sugar & butter over medium heat to boiling,
stirring constantly. Stirring, boil 6-7 mins.
Spread in pan, sprinkle choc. peices over top.
Put a baking sheet over top until choc. is melted, spread.
Chill in fridge. Break into pieces.

Monica

Tonight my 8 year old son had a friend sleep over, so it was thin sliced pork chops, breaded (homemade bread crumbs!) then browned, and then finished in a foil covered pan in the oven, served with french fries. Fresh zeppole for dessert.

I really liked how crispy the homemade bread crumbs browned. So much better than store bought. When I finish the meat in the oven, it's no longer crispy. But that's okay, because they're tender beyond belief! I usually make this with thin sliced pork loin, and finish in the oven with a mix of cream soup and white wine. The sauce bubbles up the browned coating on the meat and makes it reeeeally tender! But, for the juniors, I didn't think they'd be so into sauce. They liked it better than chicken cutlets!

Back
Top Bottom