Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Quote:
One of my favorite things to do with my Cast Iron Dutch oven is bake bread in it.

youtube video on how to make it.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/TheChickenLady/MyPics/Nokneadbread002.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww88/TheChickenLady/MyPics/Nokneadbread001.jpg

Jim Lahey… Sullivan Street Bakery…No Knead Bread

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1/4- teaspoon instant yeast
1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1-1/2 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. (If you don't use enough flour it will stick) When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Thank you this is awesome!! I'm going to start some tonight!! I love this kind of stuff. Silly - but you really made my day!

Sandee

No it's not silly...it lots of fun. Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Quote:
So glad you enjoyed yourself at home. I almost NEVER go out to eat anymore because I'm always disappointed. It's a curse to us made-from-scratch girls - we just cook too good ourselves!
big_smile.png
Plus, your dinner sounds awesome and better than most restaurants in my area!
thumbsup.gif

Gosh, made me hungry just reading the menu! Glad you enjoyed it so much, Sandee.

We rarely go out too. When we do, we often order seafood, because it's the only thing we don't have of our own. We raise our own beef, pork, chicken and quail. So the commercial meats are terrible to us now. Always a dissappointment in restaurants. Seafood is the one thing they can't 'mess up'. LOL

Yesterday I made a roast (our grass fed beef) and veggies in the crockpot. Oh my, delicious!

We had roast leftover and a few carrots. Today I'm going to put more potatoes, onions and celery in some of the leftover broth and cook more to finish the roast. That'll make things easy. Friday is always too busy here getting ready to go to the farmers market at 4:30am Sat.

Tonight we are having nachos supreme...this is one of my favorite meals.

Brown 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef with some onions.
Add a packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning and some water and cook until almost dry.

Heat 2 cans refried beans

Chop some tomatoes, lettuce, onions and grate some cheddar cheese

Make some guacamole.

To assemble:
Place some tortilla chips out on your plate
Cover the chips with some refried beans
Cover the beans with some of the meat
Cover the meat with some grated cheese
Cover the cheese with some lettuce, tomatoes and onions
Place dollops of sour cream and guacamole all over the top

Then dig in!!!

Quote:
Thank you this is awesome!! I'm going to start some tonight!! I love this kind of stuff. Silly - but you really made my day!

Sandee

BettyR - its awesome! Made it yesterday and can't wait to have another piece for toast this morning. Thank you again so much for sharing the recipe. I will definitely be making this one again and again.

Sandee

Quote:

BettyR - its awesome! Made it yesterday and can't wait to have another piece for toast this morning. Thank you again so much for sharing the recipe. I will definitely be making this one again and again.

Sandee

Glad you enjoyed it; I could eat a whole loaf by myself. I have to limit the number of times I make a loaf in a week; I have definite problems with portion control when it comes to that bread.

"Mom! You finally made bread good!"

I made the no-knead bread in the Dutch Oven. I really didn't know what kind of bread I was going to end up with, but I liked the photo in the original post with the recipe. I ended up with a really nice holey loaf, like the Ciabatta that I buy from I'll be darned if I can remember the name of the bakery in the town that I work in that I buy Ciabatta from that Martha Stewart buys bread from! It'll come to me, I'm sure. I'm having a brain fart at the moment. I make a good baguette, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and holey this loaf came out. There's not as much work involved in this recipe as the baguette, although it does take as long. That's my only complaint with the Italian bread recipes. I really don't want to have to start my bread so long in advance when I want pasta for dinner! I just can't make the bread during my work week. I guess I'll just have to suffer. LOL

Hey gang. What's cookin'?

Tonight is B4D and it'll be something pretty simple because only two of us are here tonight.

Last night was habanero sausage sandwiches and fruit salad.

Monday was the kids' cooking class. They made goulash, salad, and garlic bread. They also made brownies for dessert, served warm with vanilla ice cream. Skills learned: Measuring, chopping, sauteing, baking, etc. They used the stove, crockpot, and oven. Next I gotta get them up to speed on the dishwasher.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom