Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Quote:
Sorry no recipe just one of those put stuff in Dutch Oven and go for it - but here is what I did.

Pork Tenderloin about 2 pounds - cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes.
One Medium Yellow Onion - rough chopped
One Large Red Bell Pepper - rough chopped
2 pints home canned Tomatillos (you can just use store bought if need be)
3 Jalapenos - rough chopped - left the seeds since my husband likes it spicy - if you leave out the seeds it will be a less spicy.
One cup loose packed Cilantro - rough chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried Oregano - crushed/rubbed through my hands as I put it in the pot. (If you can find Mexican Oregano that is better, but either will do - I find mind in the Hispanic section at the grocery store)
1 good heaping teaspoon Ground Cumin
Salt and Pepper

Combined everything into my Dutch Oven- put the lid on - baked in the oven at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours. Took the lid off and baked another 1/2 hour to thicken it a bit. Served on warm corn tortillas with cheese and bit more Cilantro. Sour cream would be good too but we didn't have any.

Sandee

Quote:
I agree! It sounds so good and I just so happen top have some extra laying around too
big_smile.png

I just did a veggie stir fry last night. Besides the usual veggies I added snap peas and zucchini from our garden.

Sorry about not posting sooner - been kind of busy at work and not much time for chicken chat! But here is the recipe. I like them made like a sandwich with bacon and a fried egg in between.

Zucchini Patties
From All Recipes.com Rated:5 out of 5 by 400+

These are the best thing going for using those zucchinis that become baseball bats over night. I take out the seeds and only use the firm flesh.

2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon vegetable oil or Pam Cooking spray

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, flour, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and salt. Stir well to distribute flour into ingredients evenly. Add eggs and mix well.

2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. (TIP: use Pam cooking spray instead of oil and if you have an electric griddle you can make 6 or more at time).

THANK YOU!!! We can't wait to have these!

Easy dinner tonight - BBQ'd chicken breasts, baked beans, corn on the cob (from my neighbor) and salad with garden tomatoes (from my yard).

We went to the feed store today and came home without feed (they were out of the organic) but did come home with a new girl! There was a sweet RIR in need of a loving home. She's in her temporary digs until we can put her in with the other girls. Not only does she eat out of my hand and let me hold her, but she laid an egg in her transfer box when we were getting her new home together.

Tonight we are having Simmered Chinese Chicken
Edited to add: I always double the sauce. We really like it over rice and one recipe of it isn't enough.

Simmered Chinese Chicken
Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
1 Whole Chicken, cut in half
1-tablespoon oil

Mixture:
1/3 cup soy sauce, regular or reduced salt
1/3-cup brown sugar
1/2-cup water
1-tablespoon catsup
1-teaspoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1-6 ounce can of pineapple juice
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 green onion, sliced

Other:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

DIRECTIONS
1. Remove giblets, rinse chicken, cut in half along backbone and center of breast and pat dry. Heat oil in Dutch oven, brown chicken on all sides.

2. Mix together remaining ingredients except the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink at thighbone.

3. Turn chicken once during cooking. Remove chicken to platter, draining juices back into pan. Skim fat from sauce.

4. Blend together cornstarch and water and stir into sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve chicken with rice and sauce.

Last edited:
It's Wednesday and you know what that means, right? Risotto Primavera, of course.
wink.png
lol.png

Yes, I know it's supposed to be B4D, but my daughter and I went shopping today and that was my lunch . . . and my dinner. The kids are still keeping the tradition, tho.

The new girl is having some issues. Towards evening, she got agitated and got aggressive when I tried to coax her into her coop for the night (she didn't seem to want to go in), and she bit me twice. I thought it could have just been an evening issue, but she charged me today, but didn't nip at me. I'm going to try a few things to see if I can establish an order with her. I don't get it. She was so sweet yesterday when we first brought her home. If I determine she's not aggressive, I'll get another girl to add with her. Otherwise, I may have to find her another home.

Back
Top Bottom