Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

I printed out that soup recipe. Sounds yummy!

Tonight I made a Mango Curry Chicken recipe. I went a little bit lighter on the curry because my son doesn't really like it. BUT, tonight's dinner got rave reviews by all, including the son who interjected that it needed MORE curry.
wink.png

I can't possibly be the only cook in the kitchen these days, am I?
hmm.png

It's going to be easy dinner tonight - Burritos. I've taken on another job (in addition to the one I already had) so I'm having to be more creative with my time. I'll probably be using my crockpot and my pressure cooker more often as well as things that can bake up quickly. If anyone has recipes to share, I'd be grateful. We tend to eat toward the healthy side so anything toward that end would be great.

For supper we had: Marinated beef shoulder cooked on the grill, fresh green beans, penne pasta with red sauce, and mozzarella cheese with tomatoes, basil, and balsamic vinagrette. The Princess says I did good.
lol.png

Quote:
Made the soup last night and it was rated about an "8.5". I used a Yukon type potato and I want to try again with Russet it just didn't have that nice rich potato taste. I also used 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock in place of some of the water since I'm not a fan of chicken bouillon granules and don't have any in the pantry. So I'll report in when I make again with Russet and see if there is a change.

With that said, I would say that it is a good soup so do try it and let me know what you think.

Sandee

I used my crock pot the other night and put a little spin on taco soup I grew up on. I used fresh cherry tomatoes out of my garden and cut them in half, I didn't measure about 2 handfuls. I also cut up a couple of small potatoes. I added a little water and let them cook for a few hours. I then added some fresh corn off 4 small ears. I cooked a pound of hamburger with a packet of taco seasoning. Served over tortilla chips, garnished with cheese and sour cream. I didn't know what I was making when I started that's why the potato was in there but it was acutally really good with the potato. My kids and DH both ate it and there weren't any leftovers for DH lunch.

Quote:
I've always made my potato soup with a russet potato because, if for no other reason, it falls apart nicely. As for broth, I usually do a combination. My favorite broth isn't really a broth in the typical sense. When I crockpot a whole chicken, there's usually a very rich, concentrated broth on the bottom of the crockpot. I'll strain that and then refrigerate it so that I can easily remove and discard the fatty layer. That usually makes the tastiest broth for potato soup. But, barring that, I'll use a prepared broth and then add some "Better than Bouillon" to mimic that concentrated broth. My favorite is the crockpot broth, though, so I often plan to follow up a chicken in the pot with potato soup.

It's B4D night, so it'll be something simple - cereal or oatmeal plus some toast.

Quote:
I've always made my potato soup with a russet potato because, if for no other reason, it falls apart nicely. As for broth, I usually do a combination. My favorite broth isn't really a broth in the typical sense. When I crockpot a whole chicken, there's usually a very rich, concentrated broth on the bottom of the crockpot. I'll strain that and then refrigerate it so that I can easily remove and discard the fatty layer. That usually makes the tastiest broth for potato soup. But, barring that, I'll use a prepared broth and then add some "Better than Bouillon" to mimic that concentrated broth. My favorite is the crockpot broth, though, so I often plan to follow up a chicken in the pot with potato soup.

It's B4D night, so it'll be something simple - cereal or oatmeal plus some toast.

I agree about the potato thing and think that was the issue - diced the yellow potatoes and they stayed pretty much solid just by the nature of them. I have decided that for the next cooking class I'll do Butternut Squash soup which is one of our favorites and so good. I roast the squash with butter, maple syrup and brown sugar then add just a little of sugar mixture at the end to pop the favor of the soup.

I have chicken carcasses in the freezer that I need to get out and make some stock. We have a raised bed of carrots that are probably to old and a bit woody but they will work great in stock so that kill two birds with one stone (no pun intended).

Had homegrown bell peppers stuffed with some pork Verde that I had left over with added rice.

Sandee

Stuffed peppers are cooking. Meat mixture of ground round, veal/pork meatloaf mix, and venison with rice, onions, Worcestershire sauce, and eggs for binder. Stewed tomatoe sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans. Made enough that I can freeze 4 or 5 meals for future use. Gets better with age and/or reheating.

Back
Top Bottom