Hey guys I really need to Know (Same old question)???

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
I have 14 chickens in the coop/run.......11 that are 19 weeks ...1 of them is a cockeral and 3 that are the debeaked birds that are 21 weeks and laying........now I am currently brooding 7 pullets that are 8 weeks old and huge one is cockeral and they have spent daylight hours in a separate run next to the older chickens........they have done this since they were 2 weeks old ..........now that is definatly alot of hauling these chickens around......they spend night hours in a brooder box in my basement........I want to put them in the run/coop with the older birds.....they are out growing there nursery run and it is wearing me out....I have been carrying them in and out in a laundry basket and they are too big for that now.....I know that is probably not a good idea but really cant build anything else for them............and they older birds are eating laying mash and they arent of course I need some ideas.........help!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
What is the size difference? If it is not to much, I would go ahead and give it a try. Are you going to hang out and see how it goes? I have read somewhere on here, if you put them in the coop at night, and the others wake up with the new ones, it goes very smooth.

edited to add: I have only had chickens for a little over a year, but have successfully added to mine in that time. I did not add at night, just kinda did what you did over a few weeks, then just let them sort it out all together. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
they young ones are probably half the size of the older ones......the reason I ask is b/c we just put 3 new ones in the 21 week old and it was ok no fatalities or injuries so I figured we would give it a shot...........but I wanted to ck with you guys first we did put the new ones during the day in the run and there was some battles but nothing horrible it all last a few hours...........

Last edited:
I'd say just keep an eye on them, sit in the run with all the chickens for a while to break up any bad fights if you need to. I have no experience with this so I don't really know what to tell you, sorry! Keep us posted on how it goes!

My chickens free range, so I have no clues fenced in birds. But I introed my babies when they were 4-5 weeks old, had them in a fenced in area in the coop for about a week, then I let them out. They have gotten along fine with the Adult birds. no probs at all.

Back
Top Bottom