Hey guys I really need to Know (Same old question)???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenmomva, May 22, 2007.

1. chickenmomva

chickenmomva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    I have 14 chickens in the coop/run.......11 that are 19 weeks ...1 of them is a cockeral and 3 that are the debeaked birds that are 21 weeks and laying........now I am currently brooding 7 pullets that are 8 weeks old and huge one is cockeral and they have spent daylight hours in a separate run next to the older chickens........they have done this since they were 2 weeks old ..........now that is definatly alot of hauling these chickens around......they spend night hours in a brooder box in my basement........I want to put them in the run/coop with the older birds.....they are out growing there nursery run and it is wearing me out....I have been carrying them in and out in a laundry basket and they are too big for that now.....I know that is probably not a good idea but really cant build anything else for them............and they older birds are eating laying mash and they arent of course I need some ideas.........help!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. chickenmomva

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    No one has an opinion......come on I really need to know what you think!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    What is the size difference? If it is not to much, I would go ahead and give it a try. Are you going to hang out and see how it goes? I have read somewhere on here, if you put them in the coop at night, and the others wake up with the new ones, it goes very smooth.

edited to add: I have only had chickens for a little over a year, but have successfully added to mine in that time. I did not add at night, just kinda did what you did over a few weeks, then just let them sort it out all together. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

4. chickenmomva

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    they young ones are probably half the size of the older ones......the reason I ask is b/c we just put 3 new ones in the 21 week old and it was ok no fatalities or injuries so I figured we would give it a shot...........but I wanted to ck with you guys first we did put the new ones during the day in the run and there was some battles but nothing horrible it all last a few hours...........

5. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    I'd say just keep an eye on them, sit in the run with all the chickens for a while to break up any bad fights if you need to. I have no experience with this so I don't really know what to tell you, sorry! Keep us posted on how it goes!

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My chickens free range, so I have no clues fenced in birds. But I introed my babies when they were 4-5 weeks old, had them in a fenced in area in the coop for about a week, then I let them out. They have gotten along fine with the Adult birds. no probs at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by