Hey guys, meet my yard birbs

lynniekate

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2021
Hey everyone,

I’m so happy I found this group! I first got chickens about a year and a half ago and was new to them at the time, but have learned so much already! We consistently keep one roo and used to have 4 hens, but we’ve been narrowed down to one because of foxes. In the past, we’ve had australorps, RIRs, and Buff Orpingtons.
Currently, we have a roo named “Daddy Bird” who is our mutt chicken, but won the genetic lottery for the “most handsome birb” award. He’s a Golden Duckwing pattern and while he isn’t aggressive, he is a VERY bossy dude lol. I think he’s probably got a good bit of gamefowl in him. Our only hen for the moment (until we relocate that sneaky fox) is a 7 month old hen we affectionately call “Baby Bird” because we hatched her from an egg and she my lil baby. She’s starting to get some small neck tufts I think and has blue or slate legs, not sure which, and lays small pink eggs. I think she may be a mutt Easter Egger. My favorite part about having chickens is having fresh eggs daily, and being able to have chicks around! It’s super cool to incubate eggs or watch a hen brood eggs, we love it! I’ve known about BYC since I very first got them and did research, but didn’t join the website until after I found the awesome group on Facebook! I love all of my fellow chicken “peeps” !

Attachments

• 74DDCCD3-89FB-4465-87E1-5FCA0FA09918.jpeg
    74DDCCD3-89FB-4465-87E1-5FCA0FA09918.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 09491908-7E06-47D8-BE62-6383A31FECEE.jpeg
    09491908-7E06-47D8-BE62-6383A31FECEE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Have you ever considered electric poultry netting to protect your birds from the sneaky fox and other ground predators?
Thanks! So happy to be part of this!
We haven’t looked into that, but I’m a little hesitant. We have a cat and a bulldog who get along splendidly with the chickens, but I’d be afraid for them to get zapped on accident. We let the chickens free range throughout the day and never had a problem with predators during the day or even at night. It’s always right at dawn when we first let them out that the fox snatches them, and the cheeky devil does it with us feet away! Waits till our backs are turned and snatches them. That’s how he’s gotten all of them so far. So frustrating.

Thanks! So happy to be part of this!
We haven’t looked into that, but I’m a little hesitant. We have a cat and a bulldog who get along splendidly with the chickens, but I’d be afraid for them to get zapped on accident. We let the chickens free range throughout the day and never had a problem with predators during the day or even at night. It’s always right at dawn when we first let them out that the fox snatches them, and the cheeky devil does it with us feet away! Waits till our backs are turned and snatches them. That’s how he’s gotten all of them so far. So frustrating.
If it happens just after dawn, maybe you should wait another hour before letting them out.

Back
Top Bottom