HEY hey! New adopted mom to 8 hens in GA

MarilynC1991

Chirping
Jun 2, 2023
Georgia
Why did no one tell me I would spend HOURS outside literally losing track of time just watching my girls explore the yard or checking out a new enrichment toy I bought 😆

I’m so much more obsessed over these chickens than I ever thought would be possible! We unexpectedly adopted 8 hens couple weeks ago from a former client of mine - I’m a pet-sitter & their original owner of 5 years had to relocate to Florida for work and “couldn’t take them with her”

I’ve been caring for them whenever she’d go out of town for the last couple years so I’ve grown fond of them myself and I think she knew I would take them in a heartbeat

💓 just loving my new life - it’s strenuous but so fulfilling!!!!!! Never knew I could be be this happy cleaning up chicken poo daily and occasionally trimming chicky butts 😂

PS
Only one of our girls were ever named (roof chicky) so the day we picked them up, we had a photo shoot & it was as decided: female rappers it is ☝️

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    906.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    995.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    741.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 12
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Non chicken keepers have no idea just how addicting and fun chickens really are! Affectionate, smart and yes you can waste a ton of time watch chicken TV! :D

Your birds are adorable! :love Thanks for sharing.

Make yourself at home here!
Oh my god you’re my first BYC interaction! 👋 thank you!!! just happy to be here and not to mention, the joy I get from seeing my children learn to love, care, and help around with the girls is just amazing 🤗 I have tons of questions but will first finish reading my “raising BYC” book before bothering you lol

No worries, if you have any questions go ahead and ask. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, so it is understandable to need some clarity sometimes.
My goodness THANK YOU bc I must say their previous owner doesn’t even text me back anymore. I am pretty much on my own. I’ve had to change their feeding routine bc I just felt they were crazy hungry!! They were used to free ranging (no fence) and being fed 1.5 to 2 cups a day in am only (16% layer dumor feed) but since getting them I’ve been free feeding 6c to 8c a day total with a midday snack (usually a mix of mealworms, sunflowers, and steel cut oats) and they never over eat! So I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing or not but my heart just couldn’t take seeing them that hungry (for feed reference I have 8 chickens and they free range from 7am to 5pm and they lay 3 eggs a day consistently)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom