Hey, how long should I...

Ec_Prokta

Continuum Shift Anomaly
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Ok, I have 2 flocks: a young flock, and an old flock. Mom put the coops next to echother (they don't free range, so there's wire between them) So how long should they stay like that before I let the young flock into the old flock group??

We did the side-by-side for two weeks then let them out to free range together later in the evening. Then we made sure the new girls went to roost in the shed with the big girls.

While they were free ranging for an hour or so before roosting, we sat in the run with a garden hose so that we could squirt any offenders who thought it might be ok to pick on newbies. Worked out pretty well. There will still be some pecking order that develops. But as long as there is no blood shed I'm good with a little push and shove.

depends, if the young flock is about the same size as the old flock then you can combine when you want to, if they young flock is still small compared to the old flock I would wait till they are closer to same size.

I had my coops near each other each with its run and both with access to a fenced yard. I had them next to each other for a couple of months before I let them out together. At first I would let the pullets out into the yard then put them back into their run then let the hens into the yard. One day I let the pullets out into the yard and after they were out for awhile I let the hens out. There was some chasing. I had two hens that were bullies that I had to separate otherwise everyone got along ok.

IMG_0196.jpg
webcam1136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom