Hey I'm Kim at chickenscratchdiy.com...be sure to check out my blog

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Thanks everyone! I love that people have said hi. Such a great community! Here's a sneak peak at my coop. More pics coming later and I use it as a journey on my blog. About once a week I release an updated post about our progress. Even though we are way into the chicken process it takes time to put together quality information. I don't want to post, "hey I hammered in a nail today into a board"...lame lol So I try to think outside of the box to make it educational. For example, day 1 - Getting started with our materials and tying it in and thinking of predators.

This week was crazy for us. We killed 5 chickens because we were over run with roosters and they were getting mean. We had a mercy kill with a neighbor's chicken. A dog got a hold of the chicken. Then we had a roosting bar collapse and I had a wattle get ripped up on my primary rooster. I had to dub the wattle for the safety of the rooster. The only good news is we had 4 new eggs the last 3 days.

Here is a final picture of our coop. Using mostly recycled materials. We did get our hands on tons of pallets and turned them and painted them to make them appear like a white picket fence. Since the pallets are short, we used 2 X 4s to extend the height and used plenty of chicken wire and chicken netting to extend it. The coop is completely covered with deer netting to protect from predators. We have no casualties so far from predators! Thank you Lord!

Back
Top Bottom