Hey my lovelies...

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

This should be interesting..... please keep us posted. IMO, best start looking for a new place to reside with your chickens. Best of Luck. :)
Hello and thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, moving is not an option. So, I must find a way to make this work out of my 3-bedroom apartment. I was thinking of purchasing a prefabricated coop and run from online...along with the straw, pine shavings, dust, etc..., etc....Honestly, it seems like sooo much work but most importantly, I'm not even sure if they'll be happy living lime that. Not sure what to do.

Hello and thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, moving is not an option. So, I must find a way to make this work out of my 3-bedroom apartment. I was thinking of purchasing a prefabricated coop and run from online...along with the straw, pine shavings, dust, etc..., etc....Honestly, it seems like sooo much work but most importantly, I'm not even sure if they'll be happy living lime that. Not sure what to do.
I would strongly consider moving, I don't think your landlord is going to be very happy with you using your 3rd bedroom as a chicken coop.

Actually by sick I mean that there's something wrong with her leg. The toes seem to be twisting in a strange position and so she has difficulty walking. I keep the quails in a separate flight cage. Perhaps u could tell me what's wrong with her and how I could help her. Thanks.
I am no expert, but it sounds like Crooked toes and or Curled toes paralysis ? do you have a picture to post?

Being an animal lover, I am not one to rain down on another animal lover having animals. If you have to question..............and you are worried about your animals living like that and being happy? The light bulb should have turned on and you know what the right thing is for you to do with your chickens.

We would love to rescue more animals and add them to our small herd, unfortunately we also have a room issues and are limited to what we can keep so everyone's stays healthy and happy.

I personally would be looking at the bigger picture, you say moving is not an option for you? Have a talk with your Landlord about what you want to do, get their blessing first and you have nothing to worry about. I am guessing you already know how that conversation would turn out!

Best of Luck. :)

I think you should rehome them. Or move and take them with you. IMO keeping 7 chickens in an apt is crazy bordering cruel. They deserve grass under their feet, and the natural social and spatial opportunities provided by adequate housing. Your roos are likely fighting to figure out the pecking order, and I think that is compunded by being locked up inside. How big is the room they are confined to? Do they have multiple feeders? A perch? Things to hide behind?

Being an animal lover, I am not one to rain down on another animal lover having animals. If you have to question..............and you are worried about your animals living like that and being happy? The light bulb should have turned on and you know what the right thing is for you to do with your chickens.

We would love to rescue more animals and add them to our small herd, unfortunately we also have a room issues and are limited to what we can keep so everyone's stays healthy and happy.

I personally would be looking at the bigger picture, you say moving is not an option for you? Have a talk with your Landlord about what you want to do, get their blessing first and you have nothing to worry about. I am guessing you already know how that conversation would turn out!

Best of Luck. :)
I actually don't need my landlord's permission for anything. I've already checked and keeping chickens in NYC is legal. The problem lies in building and creating the appropriate atmosphere for them to live in considering we are in a 3 bedroom building apartment. My main concern though is that they're happy. I'm not sure that being stuck indoors irregardless of how big a coop and run I build for them will they really be?? I do think that that proverbial light bulb has switched on and as much as I'd hate to...I might have to think about finding them a new home where they can truly be happy. 😥

I am no expert, but it sounds like Crooked toes and or Curled toes paralysis ? do you have a picture to post?
That sounds about right. Let me show u. BTW, the male also has this condition, only he can still walk perfectly.

Attachments

• 20211024_180426.jpg
    20211024_180426.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom