Hey my lovelies...

Let's say I do go with this option, how would I go about finding a place for them that is safe, trustworthy and willing to take them in? I live right smack in the middle of the city...no farms around here.
Are you on FB? If so, join some of the regional FB poultry groups. Be willing to meet someone or be willing to drive them out of the city. Are there any places in the city where people have a lot and can have an outdoor coop with a run.

My friend (?)has house chickens and has had different ones for many years. The mayor of her town knows it and apparently doesn't care. She basically has had silkies and they didn't fly so she allowed them outside. Her dog was great protector for them and they stayed close to him outdoors. She also(for a time) had two Serama hens and didn't let them outdoors because they were good flyers.

Apparently her silkie was exposed to Mareks(from wild birds ???) and brought it indoors with her. The silky and the serama hens all died, each one a day apart. That was the end of last year. Recently she has gotten two new silkies that once again she has in the house and allows outdoors. I've had to distance myself from this because I get much more upset when they pass away than she does. :hit

Her dog passed away recently at age 17, considering how overweight he was, that must have been at least a small miracle. She also makes a buffet of different food items and sets them out so the chickens can pick what they want. None of the items are what chickens should be eating. I discovered BYC years ago trying to find answers for her questions as well as trying to steer her to the right way to house/raise/ feed her birds.

None of this has made on impression on her or caused her to give them proper food. I also told her she should at least get a covered outdoor pen, with raised flooring (wire) so the birds could have fresh air without becoming food for predators. And not be on the ground, where bacteria etc. could affect them.

I should mention she is a non-conformist in most areas of her life. She refuses any vaccination (Covid etc.) because "doctors inject poison into your body." She also pulls her own teeth with string attached to tooth and door knob etc. As to wearing a face mask because of the Covid virus, she always has it pulled down below her nose. :rant

We both travel on the free township senior's bus, so there is no way to avoid her. Please forgive me for saying all this. But I guess there is no way to get her to change. :idunno

I actually don't need my landlord's permission for anything. I've already checked and keeping chickens in NYC is legal. The problem lies in building and creating the appropriate atmosphere for them to live in considering we are in a 3 bedroom building apartment. My main concern though is that they're happy. I'm not sure that being stuck indoors irregardless of how big a coop and run I build for them will they really be?? I do think that that proverbial light bulb has switched on and as much as I'd hate to...I might have to think about finding them a new home where they can truly be happy. 😥
Have you checked your lease? It may not matter if it is legal in NYC, you could be in violation of the terms of your lease. I have owned rental property in the past and the lease for my properties stated you could not have a pet or do any leasehold improvements (amoung other things) without my written permission. Just trying to keep you from getting evicted over something you did not know.

My friend (?)has house chickens and has had different ones for many years. The mayor of her town knows it and apparently doesn't care. She basically has had silkies and they didn't fly so she allowed them outside. Her dog was great protector for them and they stayed close to him outdoors. She also(for a time) had two Serama hens and didn't let them outdoors because they were good flyers.

Apparently her silkie was exposed to Mareks(from wild birds ???) and brought it indoors with her. The silky and the serama hens all died, each one a day apart. That was the end of last year. Recently she has gotten two new silkies that once again she has in the house and allows outdoors. I've had to distance myself from this because I get much more upset when they pass away than she does. :hit

Her dog passed away recently at age 17, considering how overweight he was, that must have been at least a small miracle. She also makes a buffet of different food items and sets them out so the chickens can pick what they want. None of the items are what chickens should be eating. I discovered BYC years ago trying to find answers for her questions as well as trying to steer her to the right way to house/raise/ feed her birds.

None of this has made on impression on her or caused her to give them proper food. I also told her she should at least get a covered outdoor pen, with raised flooring (wire) so the birds could have fresh air without becoming food for predators. And not be on the ground, where bacteria etc. could affect them.

I should mention she is a non-conformist in most areas of her life. She refuses any vaccination (Covid etc.) because "doctors inject poison into your body." She also pulls her own teeth with string attached to tooth and door knob etc. As to wearing a face mask because of the Covid virus, she always has it pulled down below her nose. :rant

We both travel on the free township senior's bus, so there is no way to avoid her. Please forgive me for saying all this. But I guess there is no way to get her to change. :idunno
If u really want her to consider changing perhaps u could tell her that unless she starts taking the appropriate precautions as far as Covid is concerned u will be keeping ur distance from her...in other words, she'll lose ur friendship. Ur health comes first. Also, u might want to warn her about the ASPCA potentially being called in for animal neglect. Listen, u seem to be a very caring & nice person. Perhaps u need to choose ur friends wisely and tell this irresponsible lady to take a hike.

Back
Top Bottom