Hey my pigeon

anjaneep

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
hey so last month i was at school and a hawk\falcon hit a pigeon out of the sky and i watched it break its leg. so Any way i took it home and we put the bone back in place and every thing and it used to let me pet it and i don't know whats wrong here are some thing iv been watching it do:

Good things

-it sleeps in our home made nest
-it likes being misted by the spray bottle
-it like to relax under the heat lamp

Work on

-Scared of being petted
-doesn't do any thing in front of people

My questions are

_what does it mean when his\her chest feathers puff up and his\her head go in them
-is it a boy or a girl
-what do i use to clean my pigeon
-how do i know if it has bird mites
-how do i clam him\her as mine foe example ; petting, hand feeding. ext..

-like to be under heat lamp
-sleeping in the nest
-scratching his\her own belly

thanks
he.gif

Hi. When it puffs up its feathers and tucks its beak in its just chillin'. If its eyes are orange/red, its a boy. My pigeon bathes when it wants to, usually in the dog's big water bowl. I check my pidge by spreading the feathers around his bottom and looking at the skin for bird lice. Don't know about mites. I raised mine from a baby and when he reached maturity he DID NOT want to be petted or handled anymore. He will visit but no touching...unless he comes over to peck the dickens out of me! It probably doesn't do much around people coz its busy keeping an eye on you. And my pidge is in love with my dog, follows him everywhere. good luck, quetsweyo

you have to first make sure good food, and fresh warm water with just dash of apple cider vinager (adds acid to gut promoting good bacteria and helps reduce bad bacteria), acv also has vitamins and nutrients. its cheap and easy to get and use for a lot of stuff even cleaning the house to rid of germs ect. you can just feed budgie/parakeet food, or also wild bird seed too. if feed just wild bird seed, or parakeet food you will need to buy the cheap caged bird grit as has calcium and minerals ect.. its only a buck and can get in bird section at wal-mart with the rest said so far about cheaply. you could just chicken layer pellets (has worked wonders for sick injured pigeons in past as has much protien calcium, minerals ect. but can be too rich for healthy birds causing a lot of huge poops if not to breeders and their young), or poultry conditioner pellets that say for pigeons also, or straight pigeon feed, from co-op or tractor supply co.

training: to get it to trust you, first just leave alone unless taking care of till healed, but you can when feed make same sound each time which tells it its getting more food and thats why your there. when healthy and getting restless, you can start to hold back feed till evening and only feed fourth of cup at time at first to see if it needs more or less, as after day or two you may find needs double or half that amount. then once it learns to come to you or feed bowl (should have three or four by way as one for pellets or seeds, another for grit if feeding only seeds, one for greens like youd get from store or actually dandilions would be best, and of course a cup of water), when hears certain sound you make, then you can start to tech to come out around in side were ever to get its wings going again. after learns your providing safe home and cage, it should come to you or cage and food cup when called. if you want to teach to free fly and come back it is easy to take out in all around wire cage for hour at first, then calling and feeding when go to get in, then add another every day after till out all day (protected from harsh elements of course, and have water at all times), then after out for week to month and used to area, you can hold back calling and feeding one evening then next day let out in evening an hour before dark to fly and then call to come back to you or cage. sounds long hard and complicated but really not and rewarding to have it come back to you after taught to free fly. oh first time free flying, if hasnt been getting enough exercise before that, may just sit out that night up some were, or go flying off, but usually come back next day or so. watch out sometimes they bring new friends home when one for too long if have decent nest setup like sounds like you have.. lol have fun! hope to keep you in a new hobby with the rest of us bird brains.

hey guys thanks for the advice the pigeon trusted me and let me pet him but i sould tell you the we let him fly away on 11/28/12 thanks for all the advice follow me please tell your friends and hit me up when ever im on lol:)
yippiechickie.gif

Hi. When it puffs up its feathers and tucks its beak in its just chillin'. If its eyes are orange/red, its a boy. My pigeon bathes when it wants to, usually in the dog's big water bowl. I check my pidge by spreading the feathers around his bottom and looking at the skin for bird lice. Don't know about mites. I raised mine from a baby and when he reached maturity he DID NOT want to be petted or handled anymore. He will visit but no touching...unless he comes over to peck the dickens out of me! It probably doesn't do much around people coz its busy keeping an eye on you. And my pidge is in love with my dog, follows him everywhere. good luck, quetsweyo
just wanted to mention eye color does not indicate gender. You have to watch there behavior and vocalizations.

Back
Top Bottom