Hey Northerners: What is the absolute coldest air temps your chickens have experienced happily!

hi folks,tomahawk wi here.my watering set up is thawed in the dish but froze in the upper part that holds the rest of the water .what to do?
You might try wrapping it with bubble wrap or Reflectix insulation. It’s thin enough it shouldn't interfere with the tray. Heat rises so it may be enough to keep the top from freezing if it isn't in a breezy area. you can get it at Home Depot or Walmart

I was a little worried this year about them all, but so far the coop is running 20-25 degrees warmer than outside temps without heat! Guess they will be fine this year. I added straw bales around the base of the coop and blocked off all drafts and any leaks and have R19 insulation on the entire coop inside ( with walls covering it of course)

Last edited:
Hey! I know lot of more people get colder temps then these but whatever. I don't really think they even like winter cause it's cold and there is snow and all that stuff so happily isn't really going to be with my chickens during the winter. It has gone down in single digits and they have been fine.I had one rooster though who got frostbit like 3 times he was barred and he was tough so that didn't have much effect on his life.He is dead though now.So right now it's in the 15-20 and they doing good but it's going to get 5 degrees this week.I'm talking about F also.

I resisted putting any heat in the coop because I didn't want them to be reliant on it, but when the current cold snap hit I relented and got a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter to put in the heat lamp. It's aimed at the roost so it keeps them warmer at night, but the coop is so big that it doesn't do much to heat the rest of the coop. I was worried because it feels like the coop is too big (5x5x6 feet) and that my three birds were not going to generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm with all that open space. I'm planning to turn the heat lamp off one temps are back in the double digits (and will probably end up getting more chickens next year). I've been vaselining up their combs and wattles every afternoon, giving them warm snacks and keeping them mostly closed up in the coop (when I did open the pop hole door, they'd go out for about 60 seconds and go right back in again). It's been hovering around 0 for days.

Last edited:
don't forget the trick of sticking your fingers under their feathers - if they are warm and toasty under the feathers, they are fine!

WIth these windchills (-35 to -45 tonight) it seems so scary, but I keep reminding myself they are out of the wind. It has to take a toll on them though. I can't wait for Minnesota to warm up a bit.

Ok, I’m in the Pacific Northwest and we are looking at low to mid 40’s with rain for the next week. So hopefully the rest of you will fall in line and return to normal Dec weather soon.

Wow, please send some of that rain down here.......looking at very dry conditions for the next 10 days, and very little moisture here so far this rainy season.We are also having an unusually cold December, and am ready for the temps to normalize.

We live in Central Calif. 35 miles from the south entrance to Yosemite Nat'l Pk. We have been hit with some cold weather for us... we are only 1,100 ft. level and we got snow and the ground still has patches that haven't melted in 3 days. (It's very unusal for our area) it's been in the 20's at night, horse water troughs get frozen, ice over the top, so you know it's cold!! I LOVE BYC and have learned alot, but having chickens on and off for years... I kind of letting them do "their" own thing and it has worked for me. They have a coupe that was built in the 70's (?) and it must be designed right, because it has worked! They have pleanty of air, no heat lamps used/or fans in summer, they have fully covered areas, no winds and they have an outside run, (I do need a covered top for the "yard"... would make me feel better for summert and rains!)... and they all seem to do fine in the cold and heat! Something must be right!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom