Hey there! from a small town in Ohio!

koopkeeper63

Hatching
Aug 2, 2016
I am new on BYC. I have been creeping this site for a few weeks and have found tons of good stuff! I am a new flock owner as of June 6. I have 2 ISA Browns, 2 Barred Rock, and 4 RIR. They are coming upon 10 weeks old. I am having the time of my life with them. LOL

They have a decent sized coop and run, but I would love to see them free-range. Call me "chicken little" but I'm concerned about them coming back into their coop/run. They do go into their coop every evening at dusk on their own, but will they still do so if I allow them to free-range.

Also, the neighbor has cats. Would my chickens be able to protect themselves?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like they've already learned that the coop is their home, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to make sure, you can throw a little scratch or another treat in the run when you want them to go back inside until they've definitely established the habit.

Cat's aren't usually a problem for older, standard size chickens, but they can be a problem for very small chickens and growing chicks. You have some larger breeds, so when they are adults, you shouldn't have to worry about it. However, they might pose a larger threat now, so you will want to be a little more careful than when they're older and will be able to defend themselves better.

Thanks for joining us and good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom