Hey there!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jhappe7509, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jhappe7509

jhappe7509 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Hi! My name is Josi! I am new here! I am from indiana. There have been many times that I have done a search online and the backyard chickens forum comes up with so much information so I thought it was bout time I joined. This is my first time raising chickens and so far I'm loving it! My little ones are still in a brooder and they are really starting to form their personalities! I love it! My husband and family is getting a little a tired of hearing me go on and on about chickens. Usually when I start with a new animal or anything I burry myself in research and it becomes all I talk about and think about. I have even started dreaming about these little chicks!! We have Rhode Island Red pullets Easter Eggers. Then we have 3 Cornish cross. This will also be my first time with "that". A little nervous...not gonna lie.
    But I have done research on other breeds and there are some other types I want to. But I'm trying to contain myself haha.

2. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Chickens are very addicting! I told my self I was only getting 3 and now I have 11 chickens and ducklings coming in April and probably more chicks some time soon! Best of luck with your chickies!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicken projects, and have fun with the new chicks!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Josi, welcome to BYC, and good luck raising those chicks and with 'that'.

6. jhappe7509

jhappe7509 New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    Thank you all! At first I was going to just have layers and only wanted eggs. But the more reading I did the more open to having meat chickens I was. I read a wonderful article in a chicken magazine where the lady said the only reason she can kill a chicken is because she loves them so much!! After reading the article I became even more open minded and decided we would try it. It funny because out of all the chicks, my three Cornish chicks are the first to greet me when I come to the brooder. They sit there and listen when I talk to them. They are so calm and laid back. I feel that if I can give them a happy life before they give me their life, then I'm ok with that and that's the way it should be done

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Learning Center is a great place to start :) [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    One thing to watch for, if the Cornish are in the brooder with the other chicks, they will devour all the food. So make sure the others get to eat too.

You could also read up on "meat birds," and I know there are threads on Processing them.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  9. jennabug

jennabug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    South Eastern Washington
    Hi Josi, I am new here too. You may be interested in a podcast called Chicken Thistle Coop Cast. They spend about 3 episodes talking about raising Cornish crosses in the first 10 episodes. And I think its fun to listen to while doing chores.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Josi, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by