Hey! What happened to the eggs?

roxanne

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
We have had chickens off and in for years while we raised our kids. It’s just my hubby and I now and we decided to rebuild our flock in 2019, and over time five (5) out of the 11 of the flock have passed, so I have added 7 new pullets to the flock. We transitioned the pullets in with the flock over the course of three weeks and everyone was doing well and the pullets were beginning to set and lay eggs. Over the course of 30 days, I went from 5-7 eggs a day to two (2) eggs 😱. Any ideas what could be causing this? I am really troubled.

I got 3 eggs today from my 20 hens. Most of them are done molting, but the sun is setting at 6:15 or earlier. They just aren't getting enough daylight hours to produce eggs, and probably won't again until after Christmas. This happens every fall. I'm actually surprised I'm getting any eggs at all. It's time for their winter break.

I got 3 eggs today from my 20 hens. Most of them are done molting, but the sun is setting at 6:15 or earlier. They just aren't getting enough daylight hours to produce eggs, and probably won't again until after Christmas. This happens every fall. I'm actually surprised I'm getting any eggs at all. It's time for their winter break.
The sun is setting earlier but my pullets still want to be outside, they like to stay out late

In the winter time when the days get shorter chickens start to slow down there egg laying. Its because of the lack of sunlight. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with you chickens.
I have about 60 laying hens and during the spring and summer I get about 45 eggs a day and now I am only getting about 25.

In the winter time when the days get shorter chickens start to slow down there egg laying. Its because of the lack of sunlight. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with you chickens.
I have about 60 laying hens and during the spring and summer I get about 45 eggs a day and now I am only getting about 25.
We acquired our pullets in early September and 3 out of 9were already setting and laying. By the time we got to the end of September, 5 out of 9 were setting and laying. Now I am only getting 2 eggs. The 1 leghorn we have has not laid at all ( and hers would be the only white egg, so I know she hasn’t laid yet). I am really perplexed how egg production has not even started in some of them 🤷🏼. It’s really weird.

So true! The older birds are going home early while I'm outside in the cold trying to herd them towards the coop 🤣
Pooh, An exercise in futility. We just go inside and watch tv for half an hour, then go back and shut up the coop after they finally troop off to bed like good little pullets.

Back
Top Bottom