Hey ya'll from Tennessee!

Hippiechicklover

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
Madeline here from East TN, just stopping by to say hello and introduce myself and my four girls.

A bit of background of why I decided to get chickens:

My mom had her first time chickens a few years ago and it slowly peaked my interest over time. I moved away and after some time had passed I realized that owning chickens would be the perfect way to improve my life.
I am a freshly new graduate with a full time job as the game day operations coordinator & merchandise manager for a professional soccer team in Tennessee. This job can be very stressful at times and I find myself easily being consumed by it. I started to really feel the affects of losing my sense of who I was to work. Not to mention, my friends all moving back home now that college is over.

I recently came across the funds, the time, and the appropriate place to raise chickens so I jumped right in and bought 4 baby chicks from my local TSC. I have a white silkie named Betty White, an ameraucana named Stevie Nicks, a yellow & orange unknown breed named Phoebe, and a very sassy black unknown breed named Shalissa. They are not fully grown yet!

I have a lot to learn still, but my favorite part so far is them bringing some joy & purpose back into my life. My boyfriend is helping me raise them and it's brought us closer as well. It gives me something to do other than fret about work.

Other hobbies that I enjoy doing is taking care of my 20-something house plants, hanging out with my cat Tesla, vintage shopping, going to music festivals, hiking/backpacking/kayaking/camping out in East Tennessee, and drinking a cold beer on a Friday night. I love living in the city but I want the country lifestyle as well. Having chickens in my backyard gives me the best of both worlds and I can't wait to be the best chicken mama I can be!

After soooo many google searches of "why is my chick doing this, is it okay if my chicks does that" I found that BYC is an AMAZING community full of awesome & helpful people. I decided that it would be great to become a part of it.

Thank you for reading my new member introduction and for having me as a part of your community!

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to Backyard Chickens Madeline. Chickens are great for folks who need to chill out.
These days we all need to.

I used to raise and hybridize house plants (Streptocarpus) but it got to the point where the market dropped out and the cost of 5 plant stands(3 shelves each) with double four foot fluorescent tubes per shelf- on ten hours daily- generated a tremendous electric bill. But it was great when it lasted, and I saved the seeds from some interesting breedings just in case I ever want to start up again.

Back
Top Bottom