Hey Ya'll - New here to BYC

CarolinaChickenKeeper

Songster
9 Years
Jan 15, 2011
Pauline, SC
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Well, personally speaking I/we have not purchased a chicken yet. Sounds crazy right? Well here's my story.....

My son spends "LOTS' of time with his grandpa. Papa has horses, cows, Guineas, dogs, cats, and chickens. My boys love helping Papa around the farm. Papa has French Black Copper Marans, Silkies, and some others (not sure what). For Christmas I bought a pre-made coop to have here at the house. My thinking was taking care of chickens would be something me and my boys could do together, here at home. After reading several books, I found interest in several breeds. I'm liking Silkies, Samara's, Orpingtons, and Cochins. I know what you are thinking, we already have Maran's. Well, last time I was trying to gather eggs, the Rooster came at me. Pretty Scary!! And the Silkies he has had for two weeks haven't laid the first egg. I for sure want something nice, more like a pet. We put the coop together today. Also, we went to Tractor Supply to buy our waterer, and feeder. I'd say we are chicken ready. The only questions is what should we buy??? Thanks, CarolinaChickenKeeper in SC

Buy what YOU like, any of the breeds you listed would be fine. And
welcome-byc.gif
from Mississippi

The Buff Orpingtons are the quietest, nicest birds in my flock. I have heard a lot of great things about Silkies too. You might want to try a couple of each.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

BTW my meanest roo is a silkie. Nicest are the FBCMs. Maybe having your own would make the difference.

welcome-byc.gif

Hand raised chicks become nice lap pets. So, I would say for the most friendly, get day old chicks. What ever variety makes you smile......then hold and cuddle them as often as possible. It worked well for me.

Hi Neighbor!
Bantam favorites!
I like Mille Fleur hens for pets.
jumpy.gif
They are small, exotic looking and are very gentle. I also like Silkies.
Large and Standard breed favs.
D.gif

The Black Australorps, Light Brahmas and Orpingtons are large and lay eggs like crazy. They are gentle and beautiful to have on the farm.
Bunny
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom