HGTV comes to film our chickens and chicken coop!!!

KreitzinRosemountMN

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 7, 2007
Hey fellow chicken lovers,

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, the HGTV cable show "Look What I Did!" found me and our chickens! They had wanted to do a show on chicken coops, and found this site Backyardchickens.com then googled my name!

A full film crew, sound crew, lighting crew and two directors from Hollywood were at our Rosemount home for a complete day of filming early last year.

There's a saying that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame in the spotlight, and perhaps this will be ours. Not sure. In any case, I wanted to drop this line to you tell you all that the show will be nationally (perhaps even internationally?) broadcast in the next couple of weeks. Details below.

Website showing air times:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hlwid/episode/0,2756,HGTV_24156_48372,00.html

Next air time: This Friday, February 9th, at 12:30 PM CST (set your TIVO or VCR).
Additional air time: Tuesday, February 27th at 6:00 PM CST.

Cable Network: HGTV Cable Network

Questions we always get asked:

* Would we do it again? - perhaps;
* Was it worth missing a full day of work for Mary and I and a full day of school for the boys? - probably, it was only one day, after all;
* Was it fun? - oh yea, for sure;
* How much was the local film crew paid for being at our home all day? - $10,000;
* How much were we paid for the experience? - free lunch;
* How did they find us? - They found the website after I had posted photos of the chicken coop several years ago, and they google searched my name. Go to the main site and then to Chicken Coop Designs to see my "Le Poulet Chalet" photos as HGTV found it.
* Were the two directors really from Hollywood? - Well, North Hollywood, and yes, they flew in for the shoot.
* Did they use one of those little clicker things between shots? - They did! Not often, but several times throughout day;
* Did I have to wear make-up? - Oh ya, baby. And a hidden microphone, too.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and I hope you agree when you see the show. It is fun, lively, and fast-paced, but shows the family and our chickens...

If you do watch the show, we'd love to hear feedback on what you thought of it. Feel free to post or email to me with your comments. See you all around.

chickenly yours,

Steven, Mary, Ben, Joe and Josh Kreitz (and our 15 old hens and 2 roosters)

Last edited:
Kool
cool.png
..I just set the DVR.....

Thanks you guys!!! It was all because of this website, believe it or not! My wifes' and my favorite scene in the show is our little Josh (now 8) who went out into the coop to collect eggs - on camera - and puts one into his upper shirt pocket!!!! Tooooo funny.

yes, you'll enjoy the show, for sure...

Steve

PS I felt a little like Martha Stewart, though not when she was in jail...
wink.png

Last edited:
My house hen Sweetie and I watch HGTV together every nite. Will have to set the recorder for this one.

oh, man wish I'd seen this post earlier! I was home friday & could have watched it had I known! Maybe I can catch it next airing!!
cool.png

I hope someone thinks to post a clip on youtube for those of us unable to view the tv airing! (;lease???)

Back
Top Bottom