1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi All! Can I get a gender guess?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tlmcq, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Light Brahma,[​IMG]RIR #1,[​IMG]#2[​IMG],[​IMG] Australorp,[​IMG] sex links BRxRIR #1, [​IMG]#2

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I would say to keep an eye on the second RIR (maybe first too?) and the second BR/RIR :)

3. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Thanks...I'd like to have 1 roo but don't have enough hens for anymore than that. Will keep fingers crossed. The Australorp was only straight one I bought, rest are supposed to be pullets, but we all know how that goes [​IMG]

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Yep! As a person who has done feather sexing at the feedstore for selling people those "pullets" I know that its really only a 80% chance, and sometimes we can't even tell! Its harder to tell on younger chicks but also hard to tell on older chicks! Gotta hit that good spot!

5. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Since I only have 1 neighbor and the property is surrounded by landscaping company I don't have to worry about a noisy roo, just don't want any fighting

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post your photos at "what breed or gender is this," and do mention age at time of photos.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tlmcq [​IMG] Welcome!

This is a link to the Gender Forum Drumstick Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

8. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    I posted in breed n gender but they were busy discussing a poor little chick and incubation difficulty, so figured what the heck, I'd give starting one a try, sorry. They are around 5 weeks.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and a belated [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I am a horrible breed and gender guesser and will leave it to the experts....so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

10. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Thanx..Just trying to get second opinion...They're supposed to be pullets but one is straight run. Can't seem to get a verdict on em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by