Hi all from WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by speckled6, Apr 15, 2017.

1. speckled6

speckled6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Hi to everyone! This site has been my go-to since before we got our chicks. Everyone is so helpful and I hope as I learn more I can be a help to someone too.
    My first chicks were hatched Monday 4/10/17. We ordered 16 from Meyer hatchery. It was 15 for the all pullet rainbow assortment guaranteeing at least 5 different breeds. We also ordered a buff orpington roo on recommendation by the online assistance person from Meyer (my husband wanted a roo to fertilize eggs). We also got the Meyer meal maker to make 17.
    1 was diagnosed, so only 16.
    Then my husband saw we didn't have any black chicks, so he went and got 5 barred rocks and 2 pearl white leghorns. Up to 23 and then one of the original 16 died overnight. No signs of disease, I think she was just too stressed in shipping and let go.
    The rest are doing fine except one, but I'll post my question about her in another forum.
    So glad to have this site and you all as a resource!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. speckled6

speckled6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2017
    Southwest WI
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm super excited to have my chickie babies and to have such a great community to be a part of!!!

4. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    :welcome Welcome to BYC, Speckled6! :D
    It's always great to meet a fellow poultry enthusiast on BYC! :clap
    Congratulations on your large start with chicks! :D Sounds like you've gotten some pretty wonderful breeds! ;)
    :jumpy Happy Easter, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

5. HeidelberrFarms

HeidelberrFarms Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    Hello from your neighbor to the south in IL. Welcome. I hope that you are able to find the answers you need. This is such a helpful group that I am confident!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under speckled6 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think you are going to need a bigger coop than whatever you planned. It's hard to keep up when both husband & wife are addicted to chickens [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by