hi all iam new here

I would go for Australorps or New Hampshire Reds, but everyone knows I'm partial to those breeds!
tongue.png

It sounds like you are thinking of all the right things in preparation for your new chickens; that can't be stressed enough. Too many people get the chickens first, and then try to figure out how to take care of them later.
Are you going to get chicks, started pullets, or hens? Are you going to have a roo and raise your own chicks in the future?
Just a word of warning - most farm supply stores do have knowledgeable (sp?) people working at them, but be careful! There are always people out there who sound like they know what they are talking about, but they may not! My local place has a new employee, and she tried to convince me the other day that feeding layer pellets to 10 week old chicks would be no problem at all! Egads!
bun.gif

Quote:
this is the reason i came to this site wa to get good help. i want to get chicks i dont want any roos yet. but frist before i get any i need to make sure i have every thing in place for they home before i buy any. do yuo have to get the chicks in the spring are can you get them in early summer. i think iam about a month out form having every ready for them

what about the winter time. i am going to build a nice nesting box for them to get into will this be enought to help them with the winter cold are do they need something else. i guess what iam asking is can they be left in same pen for winter that they use for the summer thanks anthony

The general rule of thumb is that the earlier in the Spring you get your chicks, the less chance that you will have problems with disease. This is because the chicks will have time to develop a resistance before the heat of the summer causes an increase in cocci and other bad germs.
I must confess that I don't know much about the winter weather in Kansas. However, the biggest issues for chickens in the winter is humidity rather than cold. High humidity in the winter will cause frostbite and respiratory issues. Your coop needs to be free of drafts, and yet well ventilated.

Quote:
are winter are really not to bad we may have one moth where it is real cold. this yr was a real wet winter

Back
Top Bottom