Hi All! I'm from Jackson, NJ

SparkleChic

Chirping
10 Years
May 16, 2012
If your from Jackson,NJ, or nearby I was wondering where you got your chicks from. I already got mine from two different locations, but was wondering what other options I have for the future, anywhere I should avoid, etc.? Also where do you get your feed and supplies? Right now my chicks are on organic medicated starter (so I was told. Is there even such a thing?) I thought if it was medicated it couldn't be organic. Anyway, where in the world do I find that, as the man who sold me the chicks sold it to me but it was very expensive. Thought I might find it somewhere else for cheaper. I wanted to keep them on the same food, but I don't know what brand he uses because he gave the feed to me in a reg. garbage bag and in all my excitement I forgot to ask. Thanks ahead for any info on this topic. Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hello & welcome! I'm in Manalapan and I get all my supplies from Agway in Englishtown. I bought my 6 chickens there as well. They get new shipments of many breeds all spring/summer and you can handle the chicks to see which are friendly & healthy looking. I never fed them medicated anything, just regular crumbles and yogurt as a snack. Now they are eating regular layer feed, about $17 a bag. You may want to post this in the "New Jersey" thread on this forum. There's lots of people from our area who are willing to help. Good luck!

Thank you so much. Didn't know there was a NJ thread. I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Hello, I'm from Jackson also. I probably got my first chicks from the same person you did. (on 571) The guy also told me it was organic medicated food. It came in an unlabled bag. Very expensive. Since then i have gotten my feed from Agway in New Egypt or Tractor supply right off of exit 11 on 195. Both sell simular feed. However it's not organic, just says all natural. I have been back to the same person several times for chicks. I did notice one day a reciept from Agway on his bench. My thought is this is where he is getting his stuff from. True organic feed is very expensive (almost double) and hard to find, from my experience. The supplies he sells are convenient to by there while you are picking up chicks. However if you don't have money to throw away i would suggest going to one of the stores i listed.
Good luck with your new chicks. What kind do you have?

Hi chickobsessed & Sparklechic. Welcome everyone. I too am in Jackson, got my chicks from guy on 571. I have also a hard time finding food I like. I am looking for all. Not many options around. I did order some nice organic from Countryside organics. The girls loved it but the shipping is crazy. Blue seal makes one haven't tried it yet, it does have a lot of soy in it. I just want more natural so I'll keep looking. You should come over to the new jersey thread.

Hi Chickobsessed, Thanks for your reply. Yes I think it was the same person(571). I did call Agway to see if they had organic feed, they said they did. I'm hoping organic feed has no pesticides in it, that's why I'm leaning toward getting it. I'm trying to be as organic as possible, but it does end up to be quite expensive. I do have a garden so some of my veggies come from there. Unfortunately I don't know what the heck the township sprays in the air, sooo..... Anyway, I have 2 BO's, 2 LB's, 1RIR, 1BR, 1CQ, and some black and brown thing that this other guy gave me in lakewood. He doesn't know until it gets bigger. He said it could be a Black Maran or a sex-linked. My DH wanted black ones and (571) didn't have any at the time so I went to lakewood to get the other 2. I think the BR might be a rooster
barnie.gif
What am I gonna do with that thing? Also, do you remember @ what age we are to switch from chick food to adult? I forgot what guy told me. My birds are about 5 weeks old now. I will put some pics up soon of birds and coop. Coop is still not finished, we started April 21.....it's almost done. I keep saying that. LOL! Oh, by the way the tractor supply is my new favorite store. LOL!

Hi NJChixs, Thanks for your reply. I too was investigating blue seal. Is it bad to have so much soy in product? Also could you post which NJ thread. There are so many different ones.

Hi NJChixs, Thanks for your reply.  I too was investigating blue seal.  Is it bad to have so much soy in product?  Also could you post which NJ thread. There are so many different ones. 

Here is a link to the NJ thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537/new-jersey/930

Soy is really a personnel preference thing. I don't mind some soy just not the main staple in their diet. I've been to tractor supply and they don't carry the nutrena food that I was looking for, and the agway didn't carry the happy hen blend. I'm in no way a health freak, but when you start researching some of these food ingredients and such if can turn you off. I do buy mostly organic dairy and meat productsfor my family (when affordable) but you have to do what you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom