Hi all Im looking for some advice

kazzylou

Hatching
Mar 1, 2015
Bedfordshire uk
Hi everyone i have got 10 ducks of had them from a week old they are now nearly 10 months old I'm thinking about breeding them this year but have no idea where to start any help would be much appreciated
1f60a.png
my ducks are 1 apple yard cross Indian runner female 2 appleyard females 2 kahiki females 2 Indian runner males 3 Appleyard males

Last edited:
Hi everyone i have got 10 ducks of had them from a week old they are now nearly 9 months old I'm thinking about breeding them this year but have no idea where to start any help would be much appreciated
1f60a.png
my ducks are 1 apple yard cross Indian runner female 2 appleyard females 2 kahiki females 2 Indian runner males 3 Appleyard males

Well, great question. I probably would move the appleyard females and one male together and have a purebred pen and then put all the others together. I would watch for an "overabundance of the boys though - as in boy/girl ratio unless you have a really large quarters. Enjoy the ducks. We love ours!

They have a very large pen and they all get on great never had any problems with them I have been looking online where to start but I'm still a little confused where do I start I remove the eggs the day they are layed then what?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

I don't have any experience breeding ducks, so unfortunately can't be of much help. I suggest posting in the Ducks section for some good answers: Ducks

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I've never bred ducks before, but I have bred/hatched chickens, so I'll offer some advice based on that experience. If you want purebred ducklings, you should separate your Appleyard females and put them in with your male. Or, if you don't mind mixed breeds, you can let the drake stay with all of his females. Unless the drake isn't fertile, most of the eggs the duck females are laying should be fertile.

Basically, you collect the eggs the females lay every day. Store the eggs in a cool, slightly moist place, not in the refrigerator or a place where they could possibly start developing (90 degrees F or more). When you have collected eggs for no more than 14 days, or have collected as many as you want to incubate, set them in an incubator. There are many incubator styles that would work well. I would recommend posting any incubation questions in the Incubation section of the forums: Incubating & Hatching Eggs

About 28 days after starting incubation, if all goes well, you should have some cute ducklings.

Last edited:
:welcome  I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I've never bred ducks before, but I have bred/hatched chickens, so I'll offer some advice based on that experience. If you want purebred ducklings, you should separate your Appleyard females and put them in with your male. Or, if you don't mind mixed breeds, you can let the drake stay with all of his females. Unless the drake isn't fertile, most of the eggs the duck females are laying should be fertile.

Basically, you collect the eggs the females lay every day. Store the eggs in a cool, slightly moist place, not in the refrigerator or a place where they could possibly start developing (90 degrees F or more). When you have collected eggs for no more than 14 days, or have collected as many as you want to incubate, set them in an incubator. There are many incubator styles that would work well. I would recommend posting any incubation questions in the Incubation section of the forums: Incubating & Hatching Eggs

About 28 days after starting incubation, if all goes well, you should have some cute ducklings.

Thank you I will start collecting eggs tomorrow for hatching
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom