Hi all, new member from Va`s Eastern Shore

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crabman, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Crabman

Crabman Out Of The Brooder

I hatched and raised chickens/quail when I was a kid, thirty some years ago, Well last March we thought it would be a neat learning experience for our children to see eggs incubated and hatched. So I dusted off my old Marsh Farms turn-x circa 1978 incubator that I used as a kid and to my delight it worked perfectly after decades of inactivity. This is the clear kind you can see through. I obtained some Americauna and Old English Bantam eggs and they began hatching on Easter Sunday! We now had 7 bantam chicks and 6 Americaunas. I brooded them in my gararge under a light and built a coop out of an old treated lumber playhouse and added a 10x15 run. 8 months later we now have fresh eggs and the kids are fascinated with the whole deal and I even feel like a kid again in some small way! I let them free range in my yard some but I have had hawk issues which is a subject for another post. Anyway I am glad to be back in the chicken game and look forward to learning new tips and sharing experiences with you all!

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a great story [​IMG] and welcome the BYC! I am a new member also who in my younger years was very involved in chickens both at the agricultural school I attended and into my young adult years. I just got back into again about 8 years ago, had a bit of a lull while building our home from scratch, now back into chickens full swing [​IMG]

Would love some pics of your adventures [​IMG]

Welcome...

3. aprhardy

aprhardy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Welcome from one Virginian to another! I'm new too! See ya around!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Congrats on getting back into chickens

Imp

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Hey, Crabman [​IMG]

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome from Eastern Wa. Happy your back in the swing of things

8. Crabman

Quote:Thanks, cold and windy here on the shore, startin to feel like winter! Whereabouts in VA do you hail from?

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

10. Crabman

Thanks for the warm welcome. Great forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by