Hi all, newbie from the tropical north of Australia.

Misslyn

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2020
Hi all, my introduction to BYC. I am retired and live in North Queensland Australia and presently have 2 New Hampshire chickens, Big Red and Elsie (LC). I got them at 1 month old and they are now 13 months old. I fenced off a section of the back yard for them and they also free range outside of the penned area from time to time. There’s also 2 spoilt house cats who I fear may have thought the chickens were a ready meal but soon learned their place and now leave them alone. I’m also inadvertently feeding the many doves, sparrows and other wild birds who drop in for a free meal. Kookaburras and Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are often spotted in the huge gum tree, watching proceedings.

I have a home garden of various pots of herbs, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, squash (pumpkin), spring onion, climbing spinach and whatever else will grow in this tropical heat. I enjoy cooking and utilising what I grow organically. (The chicken poop comes in handy for the garden.) I am a Coeliac so have to carefully watch what I eat, so I do love the plant based diet although I don’t follow it strictly and still eat our free range eggs and locally grown honey.

‘Backyard Chickens’ popped up in a feed and I started reading a very long and interesting thread from a member (Pipd’s Peeps!) and that’s how I found you all.

A little update, I have since adopted 3 more chickens from a local who is moving interstate. Plus I may be getting one more off him tomorrow.

Hi all, my introduction to BYC. I am retired and live in North Queensland Australia and presently have 2 New Hampshire chickens, Big Red and Elsie (LC). I got them at 1 month old and they are now 13 months old. I fenced off a section of the back yard for them and they also free range outside of the penned area from time to time. There’s also 2 spoilt house cats who I fear may have thought the chickens were a ready meal but soon learned their place and now leave them alone. I’m also inadvertently feeding the many doves, sparrows and other wild birds who drop in for a free meal. Kookaburras and Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are often spotted in the huge gum tree, watching proceedings.

I have a home garden of various pots of herbs, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, squash (pumpkin), spring onion, climbing spinach and whatever else will grow in this tropical heat. I enjoy cooking and utilising what I grow organically. (The chicken poop comes in handy for the garden.) I am a Coeliac so have to carefully watch what I eat, so I do love the plant based diet although I don’t follow it strictly and still eat our free range eggs and locally grown honey.

‘Backyard Chickens’ popped up in a feed and I started reading a very long and interesting thread from a member (Pipd’s Peeps!) and that’s how I found you all.

A little update, I have since adopted 3 more chickens from a local who is moving interstate. Plus I may be getting one more off him tomorrow.
welcome2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom