Hi all.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ronichook, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ronichook

Ronichook In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Northern NSW Australia
    Hello, I'm a new member. Its been a very very long time since i kept chickens so helpful hints and opinions will be gratefully received. Thank you.

2. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    Welcome to BYC!!!

3. Ronichook

Ronichook In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Northern NSW Australia
    My first question. I purchased four day old silkie chics on friday. Three of them have since expired.
    I had them in a large bird cage with a little shelter hut, shallow tray of water and chicken starter with a tiny bit of scrambled egg once a day. I cleaned their vents daily. They seemed quite robust and vocal, all eating and drinking very well. Any suggestions as to why they might just turn up their toes. The one left is doing fery well. Like to be tucked in my shirt for comfort. I will get more chics but dont want to have them die again. What am i doing wrong? Help

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! You will definitely want to stop by our Learning Center for some helpful articles to help you brush up on chicken keeping. ://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

If you have any further questions along the way, feel free to ask us.

Welcome to our roost! :)

5. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Did you provide heat for the chicks ? Day old chicks need to be maintained at 90 F or thereabouts.

7. Ronichook

Ronichook In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Northern NSW Australia
    And to you too. Love the site, very helpful.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sorry for your losses! Do have them under heat? They need enclosure with 4 walls to keep out drafts and a heat lamp. Start day olds at 90 degrees. Dip beaks in water upon putting them in their brooder and sprinkle food on the floor around the feeder and tap with your finger like you are eating.

9. Ronichook

Ronichook In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Northern NSW Australia
    Yes, and was careful to keep them out of the draught. Very sad

10. Ronichook

Ronichook In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Northern NSW Australia
    Ok so more enclosed than a bird cage might be the go. I was worried that they would over heat because our weather has been seriously hot and humid. Ok next lot i will brood them in an enclosed container. Thanks for that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: