Hi all.

My first question. I purchased four day old silkie chics on friday. Three of them have since expired.
I had them in a large bird cage with a little shelter hut, shallow tray of water and chicken starter with a tiny bit of scrambled egg once a day. I cleaned their vents daily. They seemed quite robust and vocal, all eating and drinking very well. Any suggestions as to why they might just turn up their toes. The one left is doing fery well. Like to be tucked in my shirt for comfort. I will get more chics but dont want to have them die again. What am i doing wrong? Help

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! You will definitely want to stop by our Learning Center for some helpful articles to help you brush up on chicken keeping. ://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

If you have any further questions along the way, feel free to ask us.

Welcome to our roost! :)

My first question. I purchased four day old silkie chics on friday. Three of them have since expired.
I had them in a large bird cage with a little shelter hut, shallow tray of water and chicken starter with a tiny bit of scrambled egg once a day. I cleaned their vents daily. They seemed quite robust and vocal, all eating and drinking very well. Any suggestions as to why they might just turn up their toes. The one left is doing fery well. Like to be tucked in my shirt for comfort. I will get more chics but dont want to have them die again. What am i doing wrong? Help

Sorry for your losses! Do have them under heat? They need enclosure with 4 walls to keep out drafts and a heat lamp. Start day olds at 90 degrees. Dip beaks in water upon putting them in their brooder and sprinkle food on the floor around the feeder and tap with your finger like you are eating.

Sorry for your losses! Do have them under heat? They need enclosure with 4 walls to keep out drafts and a heat lamp. Start day olds at 90 degrees. Dip beaks in water upon putting them in their brooder and sprinkle food on the floor around the feeder and tap with your finger like you are eating.
Ok so more enclosed than a bird cage might be the go. I was worried that they would over heat because our weather has been seriously hot and humid. Ok next lot i will brood them in an enclosed container. Thanks for that

Back
Top Bottom