Hi all.

Hello, I'm a new member. Its been a very very long time since i kept chickens so helpful hints and opinions will be gratefully received. Thank you.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens sorry peeps passed it does happen do not take all the blame

My first question. I purchased four day old silkie chics on friday. Three of them have since expired.
I had them in a large bird cage with a little shelter hut, shallow tray of water and chicken starter with a tiny bit of scrambled egg once a day. I cleaned their vents daily. They seemed quite robust and vocal, all eating and drinking very well. Any suggestions as to why they might just turn up their toes. The one left is doing fery well. Like to be tucked in my shirt for comfort. I will get more chics but dont want to have them die again. What am i doing wrong? Help

try laying heating pad without a auto shutoff if possible on top with part of the cage with a towel give peeps enough room to get away from the heat as they can also overheat

Ok so more enclosed than a bird cage might be the go. I was worried that they would over heat because our weather has been seriously hot and humid. Ok next lot i will brood them in an enclosed container. Thanks for that

'not totaly enclosed please

Ok so more enclosed than a bird cage might be the go. I was worried that they would over heat because our weather has been seriously hot and humid. Ok next lot i will brood them in an enclosed container. Thanks for that
You might want to go to your PERSONAL PREFERENCES on your BYC account and add your approx location or at least your State if you are in the U.S..
This gives other members an idea where you are sorta located to assist you more efficiently.
Welcome to Chicken 101..
:welcome

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens sorry peeps passed it does happen do not take all the blame

try laying heating pad without a auto shutoff if possible on top with part of the cage with a towel give peeps enough room to get away from the heat as they can also overheat

'not totaly enclosed please
Leave the top open so the hot stale air can escape. I will try again.

My first question. I purchased four day old silkie chics on friday. Three of them have since expired.
I had them in a large bird cage with a little shelter hut, shallow tray of water and chicken starter with a tiny bit of scrambled egg once a day. I cleaned their vents daily. They seemed quite robust and vocal, all eating and drinking very well. Any suggestions as to why they might just turn up their toes. The one left is doing fery well. Like to be tucked in my shirt for comfort. I will get more chics but dont want to have them die again. What am i doing wrong? Help
Welcome Wagon.gif Welcome to backyard chickens!

You already have some good advice!
When you setup your brooder if you are heating with a light, make sure that the temperature under the light is 90F for the first day. Use a thermometer to test the temperature. The chicks will move in and out of the warm spot as needed. The entire brooder should not be 90F. Lower the temperature 5 Degrees F each week until they are fully feathered. Usually 6 weeks.

View attachment 1235151 Welcome to backyard chickens!

You already have some good advice!
When you setup your brooder if you are heating with a light, make sure that the temperature under the light is 90F for the first day. Use a thermometer to test the temperature. The chicks will move in and out of the warm spot as needed. The entire brooder should not be 90F. Lower the temperature 5 Degrees F each week until they are fully feathered. Usually 6 weeks.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom