hi all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickkrzi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    Hi all, love the site. Has helped me more than just a few time. About me? Live in central texas all my life. Lived with my grandmother most of my childhood. She had about 20 or so leghorn chickens and about 6 geese. Part of my chores was to feed and water her chickens and geese. Gather all eggs every day after school and clean coop out once a month. And as a child I would have never thought I would have chickens as a adult. I always hated taking care of her flock. But one day last spring my 4 yr old grandson who lives with us was at atwoods and saw the day old chicks and had to have one. So we walked out with 4 Rhode island red 3 leghorns chicks ($19.25) 2 bags of chick starter ($12) and a brooder light ($10). Then I picked up 6 buff orpington from a local breeder I found on craigs list (for my broody hens) ($9). Seeing that they where sold as first run I had great deal of luck. I only got three roosters out of my new flock. And those where from breeder that wouldn’t let me pick out my chicks. The other at atwoods, I used my grandmothers process of picking pullets. I remember she would take the chicks and hold them up side down by there feet and if they just hung upside down she call them a pullet, if they tried to pull up and peck at her hand it was a roo. And the best I can remember she was right most of time. And it seem to work for me as well, this time at least. Well we got the chicks home put them in a box. And then it hit me. Not thinking at the time I would have to build as pen, house and nesting boxes feeder box and a way to provide fresh water. I sat back and thought WHAT THE HECK HAVE I DONE! Looking down at my grandson watching the chicks every move with a smile on his face. Asking questions faster than I could answer. I thought.. Yah we can do this, thinking this going to be a lot of fun. So we build as coop out of an old storage building ($200), made a feed box and nesting box ($75) and then put up a fence ($175). Now almost every day he and I will make our trip out to the coop and gather eggs, check the feed box and let him throw the chickens some corn are scratch. Now 11 months later, I still get that warm feeling every day when he comes up to me and says “ papaw lets go check on the chickens”.
    Day old chicks $31.25
    Chick starter $12.00
    Brooder light $10.00
    Coop $200.00
    Nesting box and feeder $75.00
    Fence $175.00
    Spending time with grandson PRICELESS [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, grandchildren are priceless, that's for sure! Welcome to BYC from Ohio!

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very happy to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

4. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I Love when new peeps join! Welcome! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from Missouri!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Priceless=life long memories.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    Your a wonderful grandmother, your grandson will also have great memories with the chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by