1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MommaEsChicks, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MommaEsChicks

MommaEsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I think I've lurked here for a while poking in to random threads just looking for info every once in a while, but as I'm now the happy owner of 8 5ish week old Speckled Sussex and 2 Bantams I thought I'd better join!

We purchased the chicks when they were day old (or two..it was TSC, so as soon as they had them) and weren't sure what breed we wanted or what ones they would have. However we had hoped they'd have the Sussex babies.

We are big city owners in Arkansas, so we know we can only have so many, but we..well let's just say part of joining today was me laughing my hiney off at the Chicken Math on the front page.

Our goal that day was 6 total....which became 8 as we stood there in the store. Just in case, you know, because they were straight run chicks and all....and then the kiddos got attached to the two lonely little bantams left. TSC had been fairly cleaned out that morning.

We've moved from the first tote, to two totes, to a large parrot cage in their time in the house. The parrot cage meant that everyone in the house got to know each other a little better. Our chicks are no longer really startled by much (meaning the hat trick for sorting genders surely won't work!) and our dogs (newfoundland mixes and a jack russell mix) don't run over to check on those odd smelling things as often anymore.

Our coop is in process and should be finished this weekend which is great because our weather is already in the 70s and 80s meaning I've been carting the kiddos outside to the finished run each morning. They are sooo ready to move out there!

Our family is a two boy, one baby on the way, two indoor/outdoor cats and the three dogs. Our plan with the chickens is that they are the second step (the first being our ever growing number of garden beds) toward an actual farm.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC from NY State! [​IMG]

Looks like you're following the typical pattern... Garden, then chickens.... A goat or a cow is next! [​IMG]

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I understand. I purchased my babies yesterday and was going to get 4 babies. When I got home and opened the box, out came 10! *snicker* *giggle* I also have the garden started as well. No need for me to buy any cattle as my uncle has a whole pasture full and part of the pasture is in my back yard. [​IMG]

5. MommaEsChicks

MommaEsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Oh we'd have Dexter cattle, goats, sheep and pigs if we could right now, but we are literally smack in the middle of the capitol city. *laughs*
    Thanks for the welcome!

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms