Hi and HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nancyb1, Oct 9, 2012.

1. nancyb1

nancyb1 New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    My husband and I are very new to chickens, having only purchased them 2 weeks ago. We have a total of 4...3 New Hampshire Reds and 1 Ameraucana. They are all approximately 5 months and I was told they were laying, but have yet to get an egg. This is not our problem though. My favorite, Charlene (a red) has had her back feathers picked out for an area of about 2 inches in diameter. Some of the roots (???) are still in, but there are little bloody areas where the entire feather has been pulled. She is the sweetest, friendliest and smartest of the group so we are pretty upset. Any suggestions on how to remedy a bullying situation and how to treat the sore area? All responses are greatly appreciated.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

Sound like they are still adjusting to the move. Be patient and you will receive eggs eventually.

As for the wound I would put neosporin on it (Non Pain Relieving one) and purchase a hen saddle for her.

3. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    At that age, a laying hen lays her eggs intermittently, so just keep looking for the eggs. I agree with Kevin565, just put some neosporin on her wound.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you have a rooster, then he is loving that particular hen too much. If no rooster, then the other girls are picking on her. She needs a hen saddle/apron. If you like, I can send you a couple of them at no charge. :)

PM me and let me know if I can send you the aprons.

Best of luck with your chickens!

5. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i agree with kevins advice. good luck to ya :)

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

If the other chickens are picking on her, you will either have to separate her or cover the bare spot until it heals. You could also try Blu Kote on the area, but watch closely to make sure the others do not continue to pick at her.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Good advice given. :thumbsup

8. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I agree with the above posts. Hen saddles would help a lot!

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky! So happy you joined.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by