HI Chicken Lovers!

ItalianoChicken

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2015
We bought some lovely 3 female Leghorn chicks as hatchlings in the 2nd week of July and they are doing very well. We have a little chicken house and backyard pen. At 20 weeks now are almost fully grown and have started laying one egg each a day. They are very healthy and crave attention and affection and wonderful disposition. The only started liking to be petted at the time that they start laying eggs which was 3 weeks ago. These chickens do not make alot of noise very sweet and happy. We are happy having these Tuscan Chicken!!! They are very good layers and beautiful big birds that are white feathered with red cones. We give them table scraps, egg shells, sand, oyster grit, laying hatch and scratch, and they loved left over corn bread or bread, and clover and grass clippings. We put several perches and a string with a jug attached for fun and they love having bundles of leaves to scratch around in. This was a project for me and my husband as we bought a little chicken house then built a chicken fence and boards around it to enclose an area just for them. It was a project and used scrap wood boards from here and neighbors. The leghorn is cold hearty; however we have not had too cold weather this season was just 70 degree the other day but we have had some 60's having a good temp for winter. We insulated their house with cardboard and using the heating lamp in colder temps at night. We could not be more pleased as chicken owners! We also are thinking about expanding this next spring or summer to get another variety of Italian chicken called Ancona! But we dont know yet! Just happy with the Three chickens we have their names are Emma which is our biggest!, Shauna is the second and lastly. Launna is the smaller. baby lol I would recommend Leghorn you wont be disappointed! My husband is Italian so we decided to gooooo Italian origin chickens all the way!

Signed,
ItalianoChicken

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Leghorns are laying machines. You should get loads of large white eggs from those girls. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you! Michael- I cant wait to meet new people in the forum! I love learn about different breeds and stories. I really enjoy learning new information all about chickens!!! This seems like a fun way to share ideas and concerns!
thanks for the welcome!

Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom