Hi everybody!!!

SamanthaJo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
Hi! I just joined today, love this site!
I just got 3 silkies and 1 bantam on sep 16th
As a early birthday present and I love them!
I have 1 question they are about 3 weeks old
What kind of treats can I give them?
Thanks =)

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined. There are a lot of Silkie lovers here.

I love my silkies!!! I have this link saved from when I wanted to know!!!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...can-my-chickens-begin-eating-treats-H119.aspx
We don't really recommend feeding your new baby chicks treats right away, because they should first learn what their feed is so they will be able to get a balanced diet. Treats do not provide a balanced, nutritious diet, and it's important to give your chicks a good start in life.

Keep in mind that if the baby chicks are raised by mother hen, she will get them to eat anything good that she eats, right from the beginning. There is never an age that they are too young for free ranging or eating some specific food. They are hardy little birds. The big thing is to make sure they have what they need to properly digest what they eat, and that their diet is nutritious enough for them. They grow rapidly and need a lot of nutrition, so if they eat mostly treats, they may not get the balance of vitamins and minerals they need. When eating anything other than their finely milled starter, they will need grit in order to digest it properly.

That said, the bulk of their diet should be starter, not treats, the same way an adult chicken's diet needs to be mostly her regular layer pellet or crumble rather than scratch. Whether baby chicks can eat scratch may depend slightly on the size of the pieces--chick starter has finely ground corn, grains, etc. already. There is nothing different about feeding them corn separ

Back
Top Bottom