Hi everyone 👋🏻 I’m new here!

3Spicegirls

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2020
Australia
Hi everyone👋🏻 I have been off work for a couple of months and was gifted a coop for Christmas and have just got my 3 girls last week for Valentine’s Day!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I had chickens 20 years ago on a farm but now I live in a flat with a small backyard about an hour drive from a large city. I have forgotten most of what I knew and have got pullets this time which is new for me, having to teach them so much!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
They are called Hyline browns

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
At the moment just getting to know their personalities and learning how to care for them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I do partner dancing (modern jive) on the weekend with my boyfriend. I like to cook different cultures food, Thai,Indian and Italian. I love working in libraries and using computer technology.

(6) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found BYC after googling about orange poop as one of my girls started pooping orange today, have read some of the forums on this and realise that the best way to look after my girls is to draw on a new library of knowledge.... chicken people! 🐓 🐔
28298553-FF69-4502-AFD0-ADD7BEAC03D6.jpeg A381900A-AC60-4364-8EDC-89766EB02E92.jpeg C1A12737-4309-4806-8C93-6BAC08C30188.jpeg

Your story sounds familiar. We had chickens when I was growing up but I just got my own a few years ago. I kept wishing my dad was still alive to tell me all the things I should have remembered about keeping poultry (we had ducks, too), but then I discovered BYC!!

The folks here have seen it all, heard it all and are so willing to help and support you when you need it.

BTW, while I'm not very keen on computer technology (I'm a dinosaur), But I find your modern jive dancing and diverse cuisine cooking appealing. And, I am a lifetime book nerd. You sound like a lot of fun to know -- even if you didn't have chickens (which only makes you MORE interesting!!).

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
So was the orange poop from something she was eating or a cecal?
Hi, thanks for the welcome... I’m really not sure why or what the difference is about cecal poop and diarrhoea. They are eating grower pellets and whatever they scratch in the run which has a row of lilypillies. The only other thing that might make a difference is that they have a bowl of shell grit mixed with crushed baked eggshells. I have removed this when I tucked them in tonight. I watched them feed this morning and after they had their fill of pellets they walked to the watered with their beaks shape and when they drank the water I could hear the water squeal down their throats...I thought it was my tummy grumbling because I didn’t have my breakfast! Anyway I think I might mix a little yogurt with some of their pellets in the morning and offer that first thing, something I read on a thread here on BYC :)

Hi everyone👋🏻 I have been off work for a couple of months and was gifted a coop for Christmas and have just got my 3 girls last week for Valentine’s Day!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I had chickens 20 years ago on a farm but now I live in a flat with a small backyard about an hour drive from a large city. I have forgotten most of what I knew and have got pullets this time which is new for me, having to teach them so much!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
They are called Hyline browns

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
At the moment just getting to know their personalities and learning how to care for them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I do partner dancing (modern jive) on the weekend with my boyfriend. I like to cook different cultures food, Thai,Indian and Italian. I love working in libraries and using computer technology.

(6) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found BYC after googling about orange poop as one of my girls started pooping orange today, have read some of the forums on this and realise that the best way to look after my girls is to draw on a new library of knowledge.... chicken people! 🐓 🐔
View attachment 2030144View attachment 2030145View attachment 2030147
Thank you everyone for your warm welcoming comments, being in Australia 🇦🇺 is going to be a challenge to respond to you guys in the USA, it’s past midnight here so I’m off to get my beauty sleep lol 😆 And of course I’ll be up early to get the girls out of bed! Good night all 😴

Back
Top Bottom