Hi Everyone! Great to be here...but desperate.HELP

4chickenfarm

Chirping
Oct 22, 2015
Hi Everyone, Im here because Im desperate on what to do with my RR attacking one of my Americana's. She has pecked most of her back neck feathers off! They have been together for 2 years and now this is starting. I dont know what to do. Im afraid that she wont make it through the winter with out her neck feathers. When i go into the coop to let them out in the early AM it looks like a animal got in there! there are feathers everywhere. This has been going on for a few weeks now.
Even my dogs are terrified of this chicken. I have to say that last year the dog got her neck and ripped it open. I sewed it up and she has been fine. But now she is just a nasty chicken.
Also, today I saw this new behavior in the bet up Americana. She put her head down, was moving it back and forth and was backing up. It looked like a cowarding behavior, but the other chickens were not around her when she did it. We have 4 chicken al ltogether and bought all as chicks.
I am going to make her some kind of neck protection but not sure how to do it. In the mean time what can I do?
Any help will be sincerely appreciated!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You can take the bully and isolate her for a couple week or so. Then when she comes back, she'll be on the bottom of the pecking order. This usually resolves the issue. Good luck with your girl. I had a similar situation. It was resolved by doing this. :)

Last edited:
Our neighbor just went through almost the same thing, only the two were at each other. They had been together for a couple of yrs. too. So, getting older, and were in a very small coop and run. I thought they needed some space. Good luck on what you decide to do...separating the bully is a great idea. For around two weeks, see how she acts when she is back.

Welcome to BYC!

Get pinless peepers for the bully (put in search box, so you can see what they are). It prevents the chicken from seeing straight ahead so their aim is off. I think getting them on her with make a change right off, she may be so mad at the peepers will be forget about terrorizing the other hen.

Honestly though, if she doesn't shape up, I would suggest rehoming her or having her for dinner. No one needs a nasty chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

Drumstick diva is right..."no one needs a nasty chicken". I had to re-home one of those about a month ago (to someone that knew what they were getting) and my flock has been so much happier. It was well worth the loss of a few eggs to have less drama and upset among the chickens.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom