HI everyone! I'm new and a little overwhelmed..

Ashlyn and Chicken

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
East Coast, Florida
Not new to owning and raising chickens, but new here to the page and forums. So hi to everyone :)

I posted a bit ago about our few day old turkey, that has since passed, and his issue/ symptoms. And was quickly introduced to blackhead info, which I never heard of. We've been pretty successful with our flock only loosing 3 chicks about 6 yeas ago to cocchis and some other to predators. We've never done preventative treatments..

So a few questions..
What does everyone use for a general preventative in either food or water for healthy flock of chickens?

When do I start given preventative to baby chicks (1 week old) and what do I give?

I've been reading entry after entry here and I'm more confused than ever.

Do I give preventive of corid, ASC, Cheyenne pepper??? Just what do I do.

I plan on keeping my turkeys with my chickens.

Any help would be appreciated! Just when you think you know enough about raising chickens you quickly realize you know very little .

Thanks everyone!

First, welcome to BYC! The best preventative is to keep their enclosure as clean as possible, especially when they are young. Turkey poults are extra delicate up til a few months of age. I may be completely off on this but I *think* blackhead takes a few (over 6?) weeks to grow in number enough to overwhelm them. I always raise turkeys with my chickens and let them outside from day one and the soonest I have had to deal with either cocci or blackhead is 7 weeks. Personally I would think it's something else. Are they eating, drinking, pooping?

I know nothing about Corid, but use Cayenne and it can't hurt so you could try that, it's a stimulant so it helps improve appetite which might be beneficial since turkeys sometimes "forget" to eat.

OK just saw your other thread, it's possible if the chips were cedar it could have caused the gasping, again, turkey poults are much more delicate than chicken chicks. I would doubt the cedar could cause death though and never heard of ACV being harmful.

Maybe the new turkey was just stressed from the move and the cedar pushed her to the edge, or it had a respiratory infection, or was sick and the stress of moving caused her immune system to shut down. Could you post a picture of the remaining turkey's poop?

OK just saw your other thread, it's possible if the chips were cedar it could have caused the gasping, again, turkey poults are much more delicate than chicken chicks. I would doubt the cedar could cause death though and never heard of ACV being harmful.

Maybe the new turkey was just stressed from the move and the cedar pushed her to the edge, or it had a respiratory infection, or was sick and the stress of moving caused her immune system to shut down. Could you post a picture of the remaining turkey's poop?
I sure will when I get home today. Thanks so much!

Ashlyn, welcome to BYC. While I have no experience with poults, I can recommend fermented feed. There is a link to an excellent article about the how and why of FF at the bottom of my signature. Using medicated feed is a personal choice. Many of us never use medicated feed, and have never seen coccidiosis in our flocks. Others use it as a preventative. I go the natural route, exposing my chicks to sod from my untreated lawn during the first week of life. that gives them exposure to the cocci that live in MY soil, and they build their immunity by that slow controlled exposure. The most important thing I have in my poultry care tool box is Poultry Nutri Drench. All my chicks get it for the first 2 weeks, whether they are stressed chicks that have been shipped or robust, hale and hardy chicks from my incubator.

I plan on keeping my turkeys with my chickens.
Do you plan on eating them or keeping them as pets? Blackhead can be a real concern, and how one manages it depends on whether or not they are going to be pets.
Welcome to BYC!
Turkey poults have different nutritional requirements than chicken chicks, so you might want to feed your poults a turkey starter. Lots of very knowledgeable turkey people post in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/ , so I suggest you go introduce your self ask them about raising poults.

This is a good blackhead article:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...-organic-poultry-blackhead-in-turkeys-part-1/

Do you plan on eating them or keeping them as pets? Blackhead can be a real concern, and how one manages it depends on whether or not they are going to be pets.
Welcome to BYC!
Turkey poults have different nutritional requirements than chicken chicks, so you might want to feed your poults a turkey starter. Lots of very knowledgeable turkey people post in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/ , so I suggest you go introduce your self ask them about raising poults.

This is a good blackhead article:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...-organic-poultry-blackhead-in-turkeys-part-1/

Thanks so much!

Everyone will be pets :) maybe I should seperate for feed purpose.

Thanks so much!

Everyone will be pets :) maybe I should seperate for feed purpose.
That might be better. Has your property ever had chickens on it before the news you raised? If not, you might not need to worry too much about blackhead if you never introduce chickens that have been on the ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom