Hi Everyone, Kept RIRs want to get Silkies

Mar 5, 2018
Hi everyone

My name is Brainy Chicken, I've read the website for a while but never joined :lau

I've been keeping chickens for the best part of 4 years now. I've always kept RIRs and I'm now looking to get silkie chickens.

This is why I've joined the forum, I'm hoping people can share with me anything useful for Silkies!

Thats all for now,

BrainyChicken

Welcome to BYC. Silkies are great lawn ornaments and have great mellow personalities, but will produce no where as many eggs as your RIR. They frequently go broody and are generally great mothers. Buy the best you can find and afford. It costs no more to feed quality birds than to feed culls.

Welcome to BYC. Silkies are great lawn ornaments and have great mellow personalities, but will produce no where as many eggs as your RIR. They frequently go broody and are generally great mothers. Buy the best you can find and afford. It costs no more to feed quality birds than to feed culls.

Thank you for this Sourland. That's why I hope they will compliment my RIRs! I can't wait :wee

Hi everyone

My name is Brainy Chicken, I've read the website for a while but never joined :lau

I've been keeping chickens for the best part of 4 years now. I've always kept RIRs and I'm now looking to get silkie chickens.

This is why I've joined the forum, I'm hoping people can share with me anything useful for Silkies!

Thats all for now,

BrainyChicken
Welcome aboard! Silkies are great pets. I am not sure they would mix well with an established flock of RIRs, though. They also need more protection from the elements, particularly rain and cold. Otherwise they aren't too difficult to keep.

Agree with Jed. Silkies also tend to get picked on by other breeds because they look so different. Siikies (and also polish) are very hard to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, so be aware if you buy very young chicks - you could end up with males.

Back
Top Bottom