Hi everyone! Newbie here!

Zookeeper13

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
Three Lakes, WI
Hi, I've been lurking for awhile, finally joined! I've had chickens for 2 1/2 years. Added 2 ducks last year (they are still suspicious) and hatched chicks under my broody this summer! Right now I have a roo that's pretty beat up, he's moved in the house with the rest of the zoo.

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile, finally joined! I've had chickens for 2 1/2 years. Added 2 ducks last year (they are still suspicious) and hatched chicks under my broody this summer! Right now I have a roo that's pretty beat up, he's moved in the house with the rest of the zoo.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. If you have any questions just ask.

welcome-byc.gif
What happened to your roo?

Started out with a Bumble foot infection on Wednesday. No avian vet available in my area, so I treated it myself. I'm still looking for baytril to give to him, can't order it anywhere! Friday morning he was attacked by my other too, who's normally very timid. He flew into the door I think. A chunk of skin and feathers was missing from the back of his head. I found him collapsed on the floor, barely breathing, head limp. Brought him inside, wrapped him up and put him on a heating pad. Called the emergency vet, who literally said she'd never tended a bird before, and I should Google it! So I have been. By Friday night he was standing on his own, and drinking. Today he's still standing, though mostly sleeping while standing. He's eaten oatmeal and a scrambled egg. I've been giving him unflavored pedilyte with nutra-drench and pet bird vitamins (couldn't find infant)

AW poor guy really deserves a break. I bet he loves being in the house. Maybe you could tell that vet to tune into Backyard chickens and learn something. Welcome to Backyard
Chickens- you sounds like you belong here - meant as a compliment.

He's not a people social roo! He's the reason the girls can't come out when we have company. Him and I finally came to a truce last summer. He won't kick me, and I won't try to love on him. That's why I missed the Bumble foot. He wasn't limping. He just wasn't acting like himself, he didn't call his girls over for treats. When I was able to catch him I knew something was wrong. Normally it takes two people and luck to catch him!

Back
Top Bottom