Hi everyone! *waves wildy* I'm new here.

Fly Be Free

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
South Carolina
Hello All! I've had chickens in the past but gave it up when my son was born. He's now 9 and homeschooling goes a little faster than it did so I have some extra time to "chicken". :)

I just ordered my first incubator on EBay. I got one with the turner, the fan and all. I'm game for any information you'd like to share!

Oh, and my user name... it's from "Mork and Mindy". (oy, I'm telling my age here) Remember when Mork was going to save the eggs? He tossed them into the air and said "Fly! Be free!" LOL And then they'd land in a heap on the floor.

frow.gif
from Ohio! I'm on a chicken break right now too. Hopefully that'll end later this year though! I can't wait to get my own 'bator
fl.gif

welcome-byc.gif

if you are keeping the chicks inside once they hatch, change their bedding every single day otherwise they will get sick.( at least when you have 10 or more)

Why every single day? I have incubated and hatched 1000's of chicks and they go into a brooder with fresh shavings and they stay in the same brooder for 4 weeks. I put a light layer of new shavings on as needed (usually only 2 times). I also haven't ever brooded chicks in the house. They are in our shop. I could not imagine the dust in the house if the brooder was in there.

Fly Be Free What breed of chicks did you get?

Welcome to BYC as well!

Nate

Last edited:
if you are keeping the chicks inside once they hatch, change their bedding every single day otherwise they will get sick.( at least when you have 10 or more)
Don't tell my chicks that! I have 18 nine week olds that I change their bedding once a week to week and a half and they appear healthy as can be! I add fresh bedding throughout the week, kind of a "deep litter lite". =D Welcome and good luck with raising your chicks, it's very rewarding as everyone on here would agree!

Why every single day? I have incubated and hatched 1000's of chicks and they go into a brooder with fresh shavings and they stay in the same brooder for 4 weeks. I put a light layer of new shavings on as needed (usually only 2 times). I also haven't ever brooded chicks in the house. They are in our shop. I could not imagine the dust in the house if the brooder was in there.

Fly Be Free What breed of chicks did you get?

Welcome to BYC as well!

Nate

I got the 25 layer mix, 4 of the Mottled bantam, and whatever freebee they're throwing in. :)
These are already hatched and I'm in the market for some to hatch too. :)

Nothin in the bator yet. :) It won't be here til Jan 20 or so. I can't wait to try it tho.

I'm not raising any chicks inside. I did that in the early years. I had a small wire type cage that I put up on blocks. Under it I put a trash bag and newspaper. I changed the newspaper daily. :) My dh isn't up for me raising birds inside LOL. I have a wire cage outside hanging on the barnwall for easy access (didn't have time to frame a stand for it) and there's a warm lamp overhead. Our temps here are ANYTHING but cold so I'm not too concerned. I may put something over them should it get freezing or windy. I must say tho, raising them indoors teaches the cats and dogs that they are part of the family. LOL I mean seeing a cat lay around the yard with the chickens is pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom