Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LlamaLover, Jul 11, 2016.

1. LlamaLover

LlamaLover New Egg

Jul 11, 2016
    Hello!, I'm a newbie to the chicken world but I have a 5x8 chicken run in the makes and I would like to know what types of chickens you all like! I would like to have a mixed flock all for eggs. I would like different tasting eggs and different sized eggs:p
    So, what do you think can live together? Thanks and I hope to enjoy this forum :D

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

5 x 8 isn't much leg room for chickens. Maybe a couple of bantams. As far as taste goes they all taste like eggs. I do think free-range taste eggier (is that a real word?). You can get different colored eggs depending on breed. Easter Eggers, Olive Egger, Copper Marans, Ameraucana, etc.

If you make the coup into a chicken tractor you could have more birds. Get all your chickens around the same time so they can grow up together and they will get along better. You will still have a pecking order but it helps.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. You may only have sufficient space for 4-5 standard size chickens, so do bear that in mind. Getting all of your girls at once will make things easier. If you look at the breeds section, you may find ones that you like. Bantams would give you an opportunity to have a few more chickens and they are great eye candy.

Ct

4. LlamaLover

LlamaLover New Egg

Jul 11, 2016
    Well, I was looking at bantams so I guess that works out thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by