Hi everyone!

omgdoubletacos

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2017
Southeast Georgia
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and to having chickens. We got our chickens in late January from a family friend (Angie) who has tons of chickens! Originally, we were only going to have 3. We got to Angie's house and we told her we were looking at getting 3. She said she had 3 pullets for us, but that we HAD to have a fancy chicken as well. Haha! So we got 3 pullets (1 ended up being a roo, so we had to go back and switch him out. Lol). Their mom is a black ameracauna, one dad was barred rock and the other was a RIR. Our 3 little ones names are Daisy, Quinn and Raven. Our fancy chicken is a frizzle, her name is Tina.

A few weeks after getting them, I was on Facebook and saw a post on my local backyard chicken page that there was a chicken running loose at a local pizza place. It had been an hour since it had been posted, so I figured the chicken would be long gone out someone had already rescued it, but I decided to go check it out anyway since it was only a few minutes away from my house. So I loaded up a small dog crate, some feed and some meal worms and headed off with my little sister in tow. I got there and sure enough there was a large Rhode island red roosted in a planter. I got the crate and food out of the car, little did I know, while I was doing that my little sister had already gotten out of the car and walked up to the chicken. I turned around and the chicken was letting her pick it up! Lol. So I had her put it in the crate and loaded it in the car and headed home. We got it settled in and I posted on the lost and found pages and on my backyard chicken page that it was found and safe. We were unsure if it was a hen or roo... That only lasted a couple of days. I went out one day and there was an egg! So we decided if an owner wasn't found, we would keep her. An owner was never found. So now we have 5! We named her Phoenix.

Right now we have them in 3 separate coops because we weren't planning on having so many. But we are also in the process of building them a 10x5x6 coop with run. We allow them to free range while we are outside feeding/watering/cleaning and while we work on our garden.

G’Day from down under omgdoubletacos
frow.gif
Welcome!

What a great story and a lovely little flock! I also have a small flock of 5, one of which is a frizzle.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and thanks for sharing pics of your flock.

Best wishes
CT

Welcome to BYC!!!!! AWESOME group of friendly knowledgeable people willing to help. Great story too. You will find chickens have unique personalities. Let me know if i can help. I raise chickens, ducks, geese, Turkeys, doves, peafowl, many breeds of pheasants and quail.

Back
Top Bottom